Thread: First two maps, Hi y'all

Map First two maps, Hi y'all

Hey so I found this forum through reddit and found some of the tutorials on it and got really into my first map. Liking how it turned out I made a much more ambitious second map. No labels or cities yet but I just want to share, and what better place to share than the site I found the tutorials on

So I created these maps in photoshop CS5 following the Seradin Map Tutorial, only deviating a little bit with my settings. I used a Bamboo pen tablet for most of my painting and a small brush to get the detail right. This was my first map and it took about hours total (including two lost hours due to a BSOD)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Map.png 
Views:	344 
Size:	2.62 MB 
ID:	47542
    imgurmirror

After the fun of building that map I decided to make an entire planet at 4000x2000 resolution: Centarus, it took a total of 12 hours to create and I had one catastrophic data loss back to just my recovered black-white outline and one contained data loss to a backup. I used the same general technique, making the mountains a bit darker to add to the feeling of height. I still don't like the rivers too much. I also sketched out ocean currents, winds, and tectonic plates (all lost ) and used them to dictate the terrain and climate of the planet. I imagine it about 3/4 the size of earth.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	worldlabelssmall.jpg 
Views:	1254 
Size:	3.55 MB 
ID:	47543
    imgurmirror
    Sorry for the compressed JPG, I had to cut some quality so it would fit on the server. The only missing details are really the ice cracks in the tundra areas. The very dark green areas are jungles while the lighter green are temperate forests.
    If anyone wants a full res copy I'm sure I can figure something out.

Well thats it, hi everybody, hope to have a good time here!
    Last edited by smashedsaturn; 08-15-2012 at 12:33 AM.