Thread: Aug/Sept 2012 Lite Challenge Entry: Lost City of Ubar

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

A lot better, and with the scale! I was just checking differents version for my own map
    The color is better also. Are you using photoshop? Is so, and if you want to try a couple of liter tones, you can do it easily like this, though not optimal, it can give you an idear:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	untitled1.JPG 
Views:	215 
Size:	27.2 KB 
ID:	47824

I'm only suggesting since you said you wasn't sure what you where doing

I am using photoshop - and thanks for the tip.

I've been trying to figure out how to do the after map the way it is in my head. I envisioned a black bottomless pit where the oasis was and massive sand dunes covering up what used to be the structures of the city.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Destroyed Citty of Ubar_v2.jpg 
Views:	457 
Size:	1.13 MB 
ID:	47842

I'll briefly describe my method so that if anyone has any ideas or thoughts about how it could be done better, they can let me know. I added a invert and greyscale layer adjustment to my structures. I then made a layer with bevel, shadow, and texture effects that was slightly expanded and feathered from those shapes (set to multiply). I then repeated that process twice but each time contracted the selection to try to give the image some elevation. I then hid my original structure layers.

I think the shape of the dunes still looks a little too "defined" or sharp - but i'll save trying to figure out how to fix that for another day.

Thoughts?
    *Most of my Maps can be seen in full resolution on my blog*

*I've made some of my maps into full adventures available for download at DriveThruRPG.com or Paizo.com

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License unless stated otherwise in the thread.