Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My (Sort of) First Map - World of Tellus

Here's an example of what is produced by the horizontal lines marsh texture I suggested. I hope this helps!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MarshExample.png 
Views:	93 
Size:	746.9 KB 
ID:	47852

That looks great, Seleucus. I really like that bit of swamp. Now, I've noticed that Photoshop has these brushes that repeat patterns. Does anyone know if I can create a custom pattern, like your swamp, and have it duplicate it over and over? I feel like it'd save tons of time in creation.

One way to do something similar would be to do the swamp texture over a very large scale (ie: a whole sheet of 8 by 11.5 paper) and then scan it in and make it a separate layer. You could then add a layer mask to it and erase the correct portions of the mask to let the swamp come through. This wouldn't be quite as difficult as it might sound - the texture is not at all time consuming to draw. Also, it would have an advantage over repeating patterns in that there wouldn't be banding. Alternately, you could draw a much smaller section and make liberal use of the clone tool to put the marsh in. Unfortunately, I'm much more familiar with GIMP than Photoshop, though, so I can't help you very much with actually creating a repeating pattern.

I think it looks great, I love the idea of all that open space to be 'discovered'. The branching rivers downstream issue is something I never thought about, but it's a fault in the map I'm making myself too :/ I'll have to remember that.

I've noticed that Photoshop has these brushes that repeat patterns.
    Do you mean like the special effect brushes? I can't remember how to make them, but I'm sure I could figure it out or ask someone in work :/

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12