Yep, what they said ^.

I tend to fail at following tutorials. I think 90% of the time I ended up going off on my own path with varying results but along the way I learned how to use the software to make more or less what I wanted to see. Not that I always get what I'm after but I seem to be closer each time. The result is that I have a certain look and feel that isn't quite the same as anyone else and that's pretty much how I want it anyway. Any time someone draws (meaning other than a filter effect) things will be unique because no two people draw exactly the same anyway.

I recall a thought, I can't remember where I read it at the moment but it stated basically that rather than try to force your art to look like someone else's you should allow your art to lead you to where it wants to go. You will be more successful because you will never be better at copying someone than they are at being themselves.

So my advice would be to look at what others have done. Take a mental picture but then go make it yourself according to your interpretation.

The one area you should not copy from others is how they draw people. Anatomy is tricky and if you copy someone else's you will also be copying their mistakes. For Anatomy it's best to use real models.

PS. And for the record, any time someone references something I drew as an inspiration for their work it makes me feel great. I'm sure it's the same for others here as well.