View Poll Results: Do you use mapping software at the table?

Voters
26. You may not vote on this poll
  • I use PS/GIMP/some drawing program with a projector/monitor at the gaming table

5 19.23%
  • I use a VTT at the gaming table

7 26.92%
  • I use a regular battlemat and minis

13 50.00%
  • We don't need no stinkin battlemat! Our game is about imagination...

8 30.77%
  • What's a computer?

3 11.54%
  • Other?

4 15.38%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Thread: Who uses PS/GIMP/etc at the gaming table

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Post Hey, I print maps...

Since my evening job is printing RPG maps (see sig below) - of course I use printed battlemaps and one of our players has tons of figs, so battlemaps and miniatures all the way. As discussed on RP's poll - I don't use grids on them though, at least the maps I game with.

Since I print maps, it would be stupid not to have printed maps for gaming. I agree with Rav's statement - computer at the gaming table, no thanks!

I have seen a game using a projector screen, it was interesting and worked as a game, but I won't invest that much into a game - table, people, dice, map, figs and character sheets, and books for rules lawyering, that's all I need!
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

At most, I'll sketch a layout of an area. I almost never use a proper battlemat, and I don't think I've ever used minis at a game that I GM'd. I'll certainly spend a lot of time on my overland maps, and I am learning some appreciation for interior mapping thanks to the challenges.

I am solidly a narrativist game master, favoring social interaction and cool cinematic action. Projecting a battlemat or VTT surface wouldn't really help me do my job. I could see using a computer for a variety of other tasks, but I really don't like losing eye contact with the players, and a computer screen would be sure to draw my eye away too much.

Heck, I don't even use a GM screen, usually.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name