So I'm working on a new project for myself... create a complete D&D 4.0 adventure, with maps and map objects, in thsi case specifically formatted for use in MapTool. Trevor who his the owner/primary creator of MapTool, suggested I start a questions for developer's thread. So I did.

Got lots of answers, but RPMiller, also a member of RPTools forum suggested that I post the same questions here - to get a wider variety of answers from the community, especially from those more familiar than I about VTT mapping.

Note although the questions are to MapTool users - anyone using any VTT should answer. I've already got some good answers at RPTools forum, but I think I might get more, here.

Link to RPTools thread

List of Questions:

1. Would this be the same best format for maps as well, so users can downsize if they want to, yet high enough to zoom in for detail?

2. I know MapTool can handle large area maps. In trying to avoid gargantuan files at 200 ppi PNG, what is the optimum size in total pixels for battle maps?

3. It would be easier for me to create multiple maps 4 to 8 cover an entire location depending on size - or should I do each location as a single map? (I'm talking something the size of a small town or 1/4 mile square.)

4. Should I place trees on a map, or allow users to place tree tokens themselves?

5. I've got experience creating printed geomorphic maps, would this be smart for use in MapTools?

6. I'm trying to create an extensive swamp forest region. Now the main adventure follows a specific path, then some directions to locations by boat until reaching the final encounter site. However, I don't want to limit a party to just those specific regions. The Bogwood (as I call it) is fairly extensive with dangers, and other unique locations peppered throughout its mucky landscape. If a party wants to trailblaze it should certainly be possible - noting the very difficult terrain in the attempt. (I guess this is a no-no...)

7. I would like this format to show wider areas of the Bogwood total as an adventuring party is moving across - until they reach an encounter area.

Question now is, how do you handle random encounters, wait till the dice introduces an encounter, then load a tactical map to pursue it?