Thanks for the comments! I was also a little disappointed in the Ubar after picture for the same reason. I think what annoyed me the most about it though was that it was largely a technical error that results from the fact that I have only been using photoshop for the last 2 months (though i've learned an impressive amount in that time thanks to the wonderful tutorials on this site). So, I was originally at a complete loss at how to depict a sand covered ruin. In arriving at the final product, I merged all of the different building layers (i.e. 1st floor, 2nd floor, 3rd floor) so I could more easily see how subtle changes in effects altered the image. I only realized much later that if I had kept them distinct, I would have been able to do a lot more manipulation (i.e. It became exceedingly difficult and time consuming to try to make subtle height differences between the floors once they were all on one layer).

So...the lite challenge served its purpose for me - I produced a map that I really like and I learned a lot in the process (especially to save a lot more versions of my map and keep layers separate if at all possible). I'm particularly grateful for all the helpful comments and criticisms along the way - and eagerly look forward to the next one.