Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: [ProArtist] What would you do?

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

Ouch. That's certainly a candidate for being on a warning list.

Professional Artist Guild Donor Sapiento's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by torstan View Post
    Ouch. That's certainly a candidate for being on a warning list.
    Yes, especially when it is a company who promotes itself as reliable.

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Schwarzkreuz's Avatar

Well, those never happened to me before. I only tend to scare of clients with prices, which in my opinion are often close to an insult. I mean working for less than washing dishes in a restaurant per hour is not realy an aim. At other places we had talked about prices before, but do you guys think that a contract is always needed for secure? I had never done one before, except when the client choose to do so, from him/herself.

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

I find that for most indie publishers they're nice guys and there's no need for a contract. Equally, the amounts of money are relatively small and a contract just adds potential headaches. However for a large job or for an established publisher a contract is a must. I've never had to rely on a contract yet, so that's an encouraging aspect of the RPG industry.

Professional Artist Guild Donor Sapiento's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by torstan View Post
    I find that for most indie publishers they're nice guys and there's no need for a contract. Equally, the amounts of money are relatively small and a contract just adds potential headaches. However for a large job or for an established publisher a contract is a must. I've never had to rely on a contract yet, so that's an encouraging aspect of the RPG industry.
    True. Only few of the indie publishers I've worked with needed a contract. Usually you can trust the guys.

Second that contracts are mostly not needed and the indie publishing world is 'good people', and I have had very few bad expriences. I however always use a contract for a first time assigment for a client, and usually also for following jobs to ensure deadlines are clear (I have a rather military schedule since it's my second 'job' so I need clear deadlines to plan all the work) and copyright is handled correctly. I think proposing and using a contract also adds to an artist reputation of being a 'professional'. cheers, DJ

I find contracts nice and useful, at least for first jobs ... however, I've also had stupid experiences with clients. I've had experiences where I had to wait for a year-and-a-half to get paid ... and then only after publicly posting on the client's facebook page. Annoying as heck.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12