Hi all, I am trying a different style of map to see if I want to use it for the Pilgrims Progress Map. These test maps have nothing to do with the actual geography of Pilgrims' world however I am looking for feedback on whether this type of map gives more of a real world feel. The idea is that this “dream world” could be in more of a “realistic” fantasy adventure setting.

So the key to this map is that it is not meant to depict a dream world but instead a real place that you could go for a walk...

I love the look and feel of "classic" fantasy style maps and will be doing up a map of Pilgrims' world in this style before long. Right now I am just getting use to drawing this sort of thing.

So here are some things I am looking for feedback on...

1. Look and feel of the test map elements. (how did I do)
2. How would you shake the "dream world" aspect of the story from them mind of the person looking at the map without making a modern looking atlas type map that is too realistic.
3. Should this style have color?
4. Suggestions on adding a border... (style etc.)

Also, I know not everyone knows the story in detail but the locations are laid out in an almost straight line and I would like to have it “look” more like the first map I posted as far as the locations... so one big problem is the "river of life" I don't think it should be fed by smaller rivers and I would like it to run across the entire map. How can I make that work? And not look funny...?

Please keep in mind that I am new to map making but not to criticism (I don't get my feelings hurt). This map was drawn by hand with pen and paper… there was no pre-thought as to the layout of the elements. Again this was more of a test of the elements and how they look together.

Sorry to ramble on so… I am such a "newbe"
Any comments and suggestions are gladly welcomed… and thanks in advance.

-Chris

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hand_draw0001b.jpg 
Views:	788 
Size:	213.0 KB 
ID:	3735Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hand_draw0001a.jpg 
Views:	477 
Size:	573.7 KB 
ID:	3736