Thread: Pilgrims Progress Map "Rough"

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Hi Chris, I think the map looks fine, the style and elements are consistent. One thing I would suggest is that you use a layer mask in the mapping process so that the route taken by Christian is highlighted on the map and the rest of the map occluded. This could be by having the route in colour and the remainder of the map in black and white or sepia (effectively a combination of the two styles you have above). That will bring out the linear aspect of the journey against a normal map.

I read Pilgrim's Progress when I was 16 as part of my school coursework (over 25 years ago, so my memory is a bit fuzzy!), but I seem to remember locations mentioned which Christian did not actually visit (could be wrong) - these could provide fodder for filling ou that part of the map which is not highlighted.

With the river of life, if your map shows only part of a much larger landmass, there is no reason why it should look odd flowing across the map.

Just a few thoughts.

Even in a larger area, the river doesn't necessarily have to be a problem. Consider the Nile--it's relatively straight as it flows across the desert, and has very few tributaries.

I like your hand-drawn style; it's quite elegant. I am torn between the two versions. I like it both ways, so perhaps Rob's idea is worth investigating.

For the border, I'd be inclined to look for a simple geometric pattern: something to make it look framed.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Community Leader Facebook Connected Badger's Avatar

I think your pilgrim map would look great in either of those styles... which I love by the way... I am more partial to the sepia myself.... but rav made a good suggestion about combining the two having the route in color and the rest of the map washed in that sepia look... that would definitely bring a dream aspect to a realistic map...

great handdrawn maps... great pen work as well...

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected rpgmapmaker's Avatar

Map Version 2.0

Well, I have been working on this map on and off over the last year... (more off than on).

Now that I have started getting the hang of the Photoshop method I have been developing I decided to take a shot at using the method on this map and so far I like it... still not too sure about the colors but the general layout works for me. I will need to beef up the resolution and test the method again but before long I hope to put up some tutorials for the mountain and ground painting I am using.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pilgrims_new1..jpg 
Views:	604 
Size:	545.7 KB 
ID:	23427

Comments, tips, critiques, and such are always welcome

-RPGMapmaker
    @BHfuturist Check out my Video Tutorials & Vault of Free Map Elements
    Unless otherwise stated in the post, all of my artwork is released into the Public Domain.