Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Planet Eben

I love your maps!
    Yes, I tried to bend and squish the lines, but as you can imagine, the scale is so exaggerated at the poles that narrowing the lines by just a few pixels made huge changes. And curves...you think just altering the start and stop points will adjust the curve correctly but the middle of the curve has to be changed too, and it's not a smooth curve. To get an adjusted arc, you have to draw a line that changes width and angle along the way. Finally, I just gave up and settled for them meeting at the right place, albeit in converging, narrowing lines. The software program I used has several mapping modes. One of them, the spherical one, did a fairly good job of making the lines curved, but that was after a ton of fiddling that I couldn't reproduce again. Plus, the lines were fat and the continents got really fat at the equator.
    I think we will persevere though. I think part of the fun is remembering it's an ongoing work.

Thanks. ^^

You see I don't go into much detail with the look of the plate boundaries themselves - they're literally just coloured lines - which made things a lot easier than I imagine they must've been for you.

And yeah, it is a WIP. I'm sure you'll figure out a way eventually.

I would really love to bring this world to life with the usage of Minecraft, and World Painter. I have been on the hunt for a solid backbone of a perfect RPG world worthy of public eye. Your world seems to have a very perfect aspect to it, and I am very interested in allowing the world to be an explorable and fascinating world. I feel that with the colaboration of both myself and you, and this world will be more then just pictures. If interested, please email me at jesseemerick94@gmail.com, and I will show ou many examples of not putting this project idea to shame! ~ Anomolix ~

Hi Anomolix!
    Well I'm quite flattered that you're intrigued with Eben and would like bring it to life. But it already has a very extensive background...I just haven't written it down yet. I even started work on a major city in a 3D program, and when was that?
    1997!
    Alas, the software I use is not up to such a huge challenge. There are programs out there though that I'm sure could do it justice, but as usual, time and money are the obstacles.
    So it already has a history, but that doesn't mean that you can't dream up your own adventures within it. It all begins with an evil tyrant, a giant library, impenetrable mountains, a lost kingdom, a vast empire, and an age of discovery...and that's just the beginning. Here's an excerpt from the story where a young man from earth is conversing with two of the aliens:

"And each of our states has a nickname. California is called the Golden State. Nevada is called the Silver State. New York is called the Empire State, Texas is called the Lone Star State, and New Mexico is called....um...wait. He held up one hand. "Don't tell me..."
    They both looked at each other.
    "...Oh! New Mexico is called the Land Of Enchantment."
    They listened intently and he wondered again how much they already knew about his country. Finally, one of them said, "We have nicknames for our countries. Troyus is called The Land of Riches. Dimozh is called The Land Of Legends. Casca is called Land of Abundance. Alyosha is called The Roof Of The World. And Alexandria is called The Land Of High Places."
    "Alexandria?" he asked. "You have a country called Alexandria?"
    They both nodded.
    "But...how? You mean like Alexandria, Virginia? Or Alexandria, Egypt?"
    "Yes," said one.
    And then the other broke in. "And the capital city is called Alexandria too."
    "How did a city on your world get the name Alexandria?"
    "I regret to say," said the formal one, "that the answer is not for us to tell."
    "Why not?"
    "That honor goes to someone else. Someone very important whom you will meet when we arrive on Eben."

Prior to this scene the Ebenites have almost 12,000 years of history...about 7,000 years of their own, and about 5.000 years inter astra, that is among the inhabitants of other worlds.
    So you have a lot of room play. ;-)
    Last edited by ManOfSteel; 12-13-2012 at 01:20 AM.

That is a great project!

Great work, really great!

Thank you Lyandra! Thank you pasis! I'm glad you both are enjoying it.

Guild Novice

Gorgeous set of maps, so detailed. Especially the addition of the tectonic plates map is very appealing.

Thank you SupaDupaZombeeh! I'm glad you're enjoying them. Keep in touch.

Guild Applicant Facebook Connected

This is all very impressive, I'm simply blown away by the level of detail and craftsmanship you put into all this. I know you used Bryce to create the planet/moon images, but I'm curious as to what software you used for the others - notably, the political and continent/ocean maps? I'm sorry if this is already posted elsewhere, I tried to find it on this page but I'm relatively new to cartographers guild. Any help would be great! My email is franksjr@dukes.jmu.edu if anyone can assist me

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast