Thread: My first attempt to create wolrd-map for my book whit Gimp

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Thank your for your advices Freodin.

You asked that what for is this map, well mainly it is just for me to help to track down my ideas but I am intend to create Tolkien style map for readers when my books some day is ready, but there is a very long way to go before it that.

Actually you give me a good critique about things that I wouldn't otherwise even thing.

You are right about that I should focus on those areas where my story happens and actually that is what I am intend to do but I just want to make rough map to show the whole world because the plot of my book is involved whit politics and so...I need to have world map to show all the areas at least for my self. You might be right that I should rethink the landscape to make it less rectangular. I need to thing about that.

So maybe I should now let the world map just be for now and use it as reference and start making city maps and regional maps for those areas where the story mainly takes place... So that would be maybe couple of regional maps and then some city maps and that should cover the needs at least for some time.

You don't discourage me at all, quite opposite it is good to read critique that actually helps me to see my own mistakes and therefore make my work better.

Hello again. I haven't posted anything for some time because I have had so much things to do. But anyways I have done some planing whit that map and I hope I have made the design less rectangular. I haven't done any details except some conceptional mountains and I thought that I could post the basic design here before starting to add any detail. This conceptional map is done in antique style in gimb and shows only the outlines of the landmass. After I hear you opinion of this I will start making it more detailed or redesign it again depending on feedback.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	EMpty.jpg 
Views:	783 
Size:	1.55 MB 
ID:	49244

My intention is to make this map to be rough world map showing names of major areas so I won't add much detail in this but I will make more detailed maps for those areas I need and make some city maps for the major cities that I need for the story.

Here is how I planned the mountains:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Milodon redefined whit mountains.jpg 
Views:	596 
Size:	1.61 MB 
ID:	49245

So please tell what do you thing of this basic design.