Thread: J.Tougas's Mapping Elements

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gamerprinter View Post
    I always bevel objects like tables, as it does help create a 3D effect. However, for medieval fantasy settings, I never use rounded corners - as you have in your tables and benches. That's a very modern convention. Square corners are true, rounded corners, not so much.
    I hadn't thought of that. But it makes sense. Thanks for the feedback. I'll be updating these
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

Guild Member Facebook Connected BISHDP's Avatar

Those are really good looking. You should post more of this kind of stuff.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BISHDP View Post
    Those are really good looking. You should post more of this kind of stuff.
    Thank you very much. Also I want to thank everyone for the feedback. I'm still "getting my feet wet" as it were with this stuff so I'll take all the help I can get One thing that I really enjoy when it comes to any kind of mapping is telling a story. To tell a great story you need the "filler" the backstory the little details that make the scene come to life. I realized that the tables I made (besides being rounded.. ) were just not rough enough. Where were the scars from countless mugs being dragged across them? Where were the broken edges from fights and swords banging against them? There has to be knife marks and knotholes and all the little "character" stuff that makes a fantasy tavern table. SO after all of that I went and made a new table for the Axe & Stump. I also on the advice of people that are far better at this than I am went back and added a bevel to the original tables and benches that I made. I adjusted the opacity of the beveling layers so there wasn't so much of a "hard edge" I hope you enjoy all of these as much as I enjoy making them. As always feedback is requested and appreciated.

The New Rectangular Table and Benches

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rectangle table benches.png 
Views:	7994 
Size:	485.0 KB 
ID:	48825

The Updated Beveled Version of the Original Rounded Edge Table & Benches
    Dark Version

Name:	tables and benchesdarkerbevel.png 
Views:	260 
Size:	154.5 KB 
ID:	48826
    Lighter Version

Name:	tables and bencheslighterbevel.png 
Views:	171 
Size:	190.5 KB 
ID:	48827
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

Good work!
    Mark Oliva
    The Vintyri (TM) Project

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Oliva View Post
    Good work!
    Thanks !!

Finished Maps