Thread: Second Map, A Pirate We Shall Go!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Guild Novice

Hi Mikso, I'm new here and to mapping. Interesting map. The first thing I noticed was that the rays from the compass rose kind of distracted my eyes a bit. I kept following them around the page and ignored the islands. I really liked the little dead trees and pyramid and the color scheme is cool. If I had to suggest anything I would try to give the land areas a little more relief. In the tutorials I believe I saw a PDF How-To on how to do just that. The only other thing that distracted me was the yellow hash marks. I'm assuming they are crops or crop lands. They were fine except for the funny looking ones that kind of look like a group of shooting stars. You had several of those set with straight and 90 degree sets and it looked kind of odd. Overall I thought the map was pretty good though. You did a good job of randomizing the islands and mountains. Did you do it all electronically or did you start with a and drawn sketch?

Thank you Antman9, Grymmen.
    The map defiantly has flaws (the compass is too harsh), some of which couldn't be helped. The harsh yellow shootings stars mark farm/crop lands. They are all (dead trees, crops, mountains) markers placed for in-game reasons. They serve to label high/low population provinces, resources, magic sites, passable and impassable mountains, etc.
    Like I said, I made this map primarily as a game, two player, scenario. As such it needed to be symmetrical. It's also an island map (every island acts as a provinces) to emphasis the importance of sailing. (in-game mechanic which makes for some interesting ideas on this map)

Here's a screen shot of how it actually looks in game. It's a bit different here.
    In any case there's nothing I can do about this map any more. It's in use, redoing it would mean wasting a few hours rewriting map code as well and having various versions of the same map would make a mess of things needlessly.

And yes, I did everything electronically, following RobA's guide for GIMP.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Example.jpg 
Views:	187 
Size:	451.0 KB 
ID:	49399