Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast

Thread: Galastan - hand-drawn city on a mountain

That city looks amazing! I already cannot wait to see another one by you.

Now that is something I'll have to try one day, yet I doubt I have the ability to do so.

A really beatiful map and piece of art, the same must be said about Val Nevan. I hope you can post more of your work, as it is a grea inspiration - at least for me.

I like the gray walls better, but I'm interested in how some of the suggestions would alter the color. Awesome work! This is probably an inappropriate thing to ask in a thread (or maybe at all), but do you take commissions?

Chris

I advice you just leave the sepia colour! Don't use any unnatural colours like red, blue, green. They make your art plastic and false. If you just make it sepia brown - you'll see - the effect will be stunning!!

Community Leader Guild Sponsor - Max -'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rotti View Post
    I advice you just leave the sepia colour! Don't use any unnatural colours like red, blue, green. They make your art plastic and false. If you just make it sepia brown - you'll see - the effect will be stunning!!
    I disagree with this. Red, blue , green, unnatural colours? well, go outside and look around you

I think the colors are appropriate. Looks as if this was hand-inked on parchment and then colored with natural ink wash. Looks very nice!
    M

Guild Expert Facebook Connected vorropohaiah's Avatar

I know others have beaten me to it but... Those are the most common pigments! The style of map this emulates uses just those sorts of colours!

Eventually colours like blue, green and red are obviously natural. Like pink. Still, you won't make your old style map inked pink. A piece of art that we definietely have here, is supposed to pretend it's made by some medieval scribe. How lovely would be to see it made in sepia brown and yellow - kind of da vinci style.

As I can see - your awarded map (The High-empire of Korachan and the Inner Sea by vorropohaiah) is made in... guess what! In sepia. Why? Because this way it looks incredible.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor - Max -'s Avatar

Eventually colours like blue, green and red are obviously natural. Like pink. Still, you won't make your old style map inked pink. A piece of art that we definietely have here, is supposed to pretend it's made by some medieval scribe. How lovely would be to see it made in sepia brown and yellow - kind of da vinci style.
    Medieval scribes used a lot of colored pigments in illuminated books. And you can find same kind of colors on some city or town maps from 14th to 17th century aswell. Take a look at Goa's Braun Hogenberg for example, who used a lot of green, rend and orange on it.

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast