Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast

Thread: Galastan - hand-drawn city on a mountain

Really sepia tones on a map means it's aged, which also means fading, yellowing and loss of color. So many maps that are supposed to depict new locations seem to require hundred year old maps because of an over reliance on sepia tone colors. Regarding colors on illuminated documents, check out the Book of Kells. If you want traditional illuminated maps, you definitely want colors. If you want your map to look old, then, and only then consider using sepia tones.
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

I already gave you my opinion. I respect yours. I just see that an author of the picture feels he must have missed something. And keeps asking what it is. I just gave my advice.

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Blaidd Drwg's Avatar

Rumours of my death have been greatly exaggerated ... Back again.

I took a break from this map and did some stuff in the real world and a different, smaller map to take my mind off this one.
    Old maps can be coloured quite beautifully, actually. I don't think those vibrant colours and some kind of ageing are mutually exclusive, provided the aging is very subtle. Without, say, an aged paper background, I can't get it to look as if it was drawn on something other than modern paper. If you have the time, take a look at this video, about a reproduction of an Atlas by Frederick de Wit. I'm afraid it's all in Dutch, but the maps speak for themselves. They look very warm and vibrant, but the paper is a bit yellow-y, nonetheless. (the book by the way, also has text in English. I've pre-ordered one immediately).

But I think the problem with this map was the shading. Well, that and the fact I wasn't really sure where I wanted to take it. As someone pointed out earlier, it's hard to see what the problem is, because the map wasn't shaded yet. So I went back to the original drawing and did just that. I wouldn't be surprised if the colours look much better now.

Thanks again for all your input! You've been a great help

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Galastan_WIP6.jpg 
Views:	1164 
Size:	3.02 MB 
ID:	52788

Guild Expert Facebook Connected vorropohaiah's Avatar

great vid, and looking forward to seeing more from this and other maps in the future - love you maps very much

Community Leader Guild Sponsor - Max -'s Avatar

I hope this will help you with colours but at least it's some improvments :-D keep up the great job

I like the black and white map more than the coloured ones.

The Atlas de Wit is a precious jewel. Thanks for that one.

Beautiful work on the shading! This is an inspirational piece.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

WOW!!! This forum is full of epic pieces of art, and this is one of them in my opinion. Just beatiful so far, can't wait to see it finished. If it helps at all, I think that coloured versions were pretty nice.

That looks so much better! And I thought the previous version was awesome.

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Blaidd Drwg's Avatar

Well, the actual analog stuff is finally done. I'm not sure if I even want to colour it anymore.
    I'll put together a quick coloured version later, just to give myself (and you) an idea of what it might look like.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GalastanBW2.jpg 
Views:	430 
Size:	3.46 MB 
ID:	52814

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast