Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: T.e.s. Wip

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected

Quote Originally Posted by ice View Post
    thanks alot for the advice guys, it's really helping

yea i know what you mean with the mountains, i'm looking much into finding something that blends much better. and yea i've been looking into applying a texture to the desert and grassland(which i've done now). i'm also trying to find a better texture for the water
    Personally, the flat water doesn't bother me nearly as much as the flat features of the landscape next to the textured features of the landscape.

This is looking better, but might I suggest a more gradual blur from the edges of the desert and savanah/grassland into each other and into the green grassland/forests? At least colorwise I suspect a gradual transition might look a little better. Worth a try at least, I think.
    I think, therefore I am a nerd.
    Cogito, ergo sum nerdem.

Check out my blog: "The Undiscovered Author"
    It's the story of a writer... follow me in my simple quest to get published, and share your own writing stories, adventures and writerly tips.

Pimping my worldmap here. Still WIP... long way to go, but I'm pretty proud of what I've done so far...

just a small update to keep myself working on this. i tried creating a good transition blur for the desert/Savannah, nothing was really working. so for right now i just have kind of a light erased edge (don't know if you can tell). i also edited the forest features in areas where it wasn't necessary to have detailed forest.
    As for the mountains i've been playing around with several different things but i can't really find anything i like in the sense of showing a better depiction of comparative height. but really i don't know if its just because i got used to them but i really don't mind the iso mountains much. but yea heres the update and any further comments greatly appreciated. and also an early thank you to this place for how much help it's been.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mapv4 copy2.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	1.02 MB 
ID:	6363  

just a small update to keep myself working on this. i tried creating a good transition blur for the desert/Savannah, nothing was really working. so for right now i just have kind of a light erased edge (don't know if you can tell). i also edited the forest features in areas where it wasn't necessary to have detailed forest.
    As for the mountains i've been playing around with several different things but i can't really find anything i like in the sense of showing a better depiction of comparative height. but really i don't know if its just because i got used to them but i really don't mind the iso mountains much. but yea heres the update and any further comments greatly appreciated. and also an early thank you to this place for how much help it's been.
    Ice, check out a thread started by Karro titled "Playing with Mountains" There is a sample of some mountains I made of "top down" mountains that started on a test map. If you like the style, I can work with you to help you emulate them on your map and I think they would fit really well with the rest of your textured surface.
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

yea actually that would be of great help, thanks jfrazierjr. i tried rob's tutorials for mountains didn't get very far though since i'm a P.S user. i tried downloading gimp to do it but couldn't really figure out the program

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected

The style developed by Joe Frazier, based on RobA's in his regional map tutorials, on that thread are very nice, and I think it's possible using this style to show a good variation on relative height.
    I think, therefore I am a nerd.
    Cogito, ergo sum nerdem.

Check out my blog: "The Undiscovered Author"
    It's the story of a writer... follow me in my simple quest to get published, and share your own writing stories, adventures and writerly tips.

Pimping my worldmap here. Still WIP... long way to go, but I'm pretty proud of what I've done so far...

Community Leader Facebook Connected Badger's Avatar

yea actually that would be of great help, thanks jfrazierjr. i tried rob's tutorials for mountains didn't get very far though since i'm a P.S user. i tried downloading gimp to do it but couldn't really figure out the program
    I'm working on a way to do just that in PS ice... I think I almost have it down ... and when I do, I'll post up a tutorial for making those mountains in PS... it can be confusing ... because gimp and PS don't use masks the same way (programming wise) it just takes some different steps to achieve the end results...

awesome look forward to seeing the end result delgon

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12