Thread: Trouble with names - Would love a hand.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Names are always tough. It would be easy to give it a sensible name such as "Fishbay" or "Seasedge" but I don't think that's what your looking for. I am also not very creative with names and in my kingdom of Shendenflar campaign setting most things are named for what they are or what they do or where they are. (IE Riverhewn my capital city that was named for the fact that over the millennia two rivers carved out the island that it sits on) Fantasy names run the gamut between functional and accurate to almost unpronounceable. (such as any Elvish city) The bottom line is a name is not just a name, it is a history and a backstory and a future potentenial. You might try just writing down a bunch of names that describe the area for what it is or does or was or might be. Then write down a bunch of "fantasy" sounding names (things with apostrophe's in odd places are a good place to start) Ancient languages are another good resource to tap for interesting sounding names. I am not a fan of "random name" generators for something as well defined as a large capital city but there are some very good ones out there and they may provide a spark of inspiration. The name will become history and perhaps even legend someday so it's worth a little work to come up with something you like. Take your time and look at the names you've written down. I'd be willing to bet that one of them will keep clamoring for your attention. I wish you good luck
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

I agree, names suck. Alot of times i end up spending more time trying to figure out a good name for a character or place then i do writing the chapter its involved with. For characters alot of times i can just pull a name off my head by tossing letters together until something sounds decent. But when it comes to cities or places it just never works. We did however decide on one for the city for now, we went with Dunroch, i cant remember why but i figure it works for now if nothing else. I cant at least progress the story and think about other details.

Like trying to describe (without going too far) how an object is altering a kids brain turning him into more of a sociopath, its alot harder then i thought it would be lol

Anyway thanks for the info, it is appreciated.