Thread: I love maps

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

WOW Thanks for the feedback Ive never really had anyone critique my mapwork before. I agree with many of your assessments. Much of my work was trial and error, exploring different ways of drawing maps based on maps from RPG systems I owned and was enamored with at the time. You can see my maps influenced by the Harn world/setting maps and the ICE Middle Earth maps for example. Earlier maps were drawn on "old school" style as used in the Basic/Expert D&D set and Greyhawk. Ive only actually campaigned in a few of them but many of them have pages and pages of detailed information about them which only served as a way to get my thoughts on paper and not necessarily because I ever did anything with them. I have always thought about exploring computer based software but being an Apple user exclusively and not that computer savy to boot, I never found the task very easy ( most programs are only for PCs and are difficult for me to set up). I suppose I could find something these days to help out- but I think my work might lack the artistic experience I like when I sit down with pencil, coloring pencils, paper and start working something out.

Guild Member
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Yawningportal View Post
    WOW Thanks for the feedback Ive never really had anyone critique my mapwork before. I agree with many of your assessments. Much of my work was trial and error, exploring different ways of drawing maps based on maps from RPG systems I owned and was enamored with at the time. You can see my maps influenced by the Harn world/setting maps and the ICE Middle Earth maps for example. Earlier maps were drawn on "old school" style as used in the Basic/Expert D&D set and Greyhawk. Ive only actually campaigned in a few of them but many of them have pages and pages of detailed information about them which only served as a way to get my thoughts on paper and not necessarily because I ever did anything with them. I have always thought about exploring computer based software but being an Apple user exclusively and not that computer savy to boot, I never found the task very easy ( most programs are only for PCs and are difficult for me to set up). I suppose I could find something these days to help out- but I think my work might lack the artistic experience I like when I sit down with pencil, coloring pencils, paper and start working something out.
    Don't be a fool! You know how to draw. Why downgrade from your own creativity and artistic skill?