Thread: My first Regional Map

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Very nice map! There are a few things I would like to comment on, in a rather unstructured way.

- Your colour schema is indeed very pleasant, though it makes the area seem rather arid. Is that intended?
    - You could solve the problem with the rivers ending at the coast if you change the colour of the coastline to that of the rivers. A method I have seen in several modern maps.
    - All of your linework - rivers, roads, coast - would benefit from a little blurring. They look very pixely the way they are now.
    - They style of your hills looks rather nice, but the layout of these hills could use a little more... variation? Fragmentation? Especially the eastern range in it's wiggly form looks more like a human made structure, a dyke or such, than a mountain range.
    - The background / base layer is a little plain. Perhaps you might want to add a little structure, like a parchment texture or something similar?

This is a sort of...volunteered commission. The author of the adventure this is for didn't really give me much detail regarding climate so I just picked colours I thought looked good together. I guess the arid look comes from living in Australia where we suffer either drought or flood it seems. I was thinking of adding a 'canvas' like texture to the background and then experimenting with blend modes, I think the one I want is dodge or something like that. I agree the mountain structure could do with a bit of work - the author got back to me with some names and the Eastern ones are called Wyrmcast Hills so obviously the shape was evocative for him. I'm going to do a bit of playing around with it tonight so if I achieve anything worthwhile I'll post it up. I suppose given the fact it will be modified I should change the tag to WIP!
    Glory is the reward of valour.

My blog at: damonjynx.blogspot.com.au

Finished Maps

Hi All,

Here is the finished version. As usual, any comments or feedback is welcome and appreciated.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Greentown_Region_Final.jpg 
Views:	133 
Size:	2.70 MB 
ID:	49569
    Glory is the reward of valour.

My blog at: damonjynx.blogspot.com.au

Finished Maps