Thread: WIP: The Golden Elk; Warship.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Guild Adept Facebook Connected

Thanks.
    Honestly, I do the map, mostly, because I enjoy it and like to always learn new things. This is a good way, at least an entertaining, way to get more familiar with GIMP.

In fact, in my opinion, the main advantage of pre-made battlemaps is that it save time around the gaming, not having to slow down the action for drawing. In turn, this allows me to use fancier, more complex shapes and not have to worry about drawing them... But, the "prettified" version is not necessary for that, it is truly for my own enjoyment...

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Simon33600 View Post
    Thanks.
    Honestly, I do the map, mostly, because I enjoy it and like to always learn new things. This is a good way, at least an entertaining, way to get more familiar with GIMP.

In fact, in my opinion, the main advantage of pre-made battlemaps is that it save time around the gaming, not having to slow down the action for drawing. In turn, this allows me to use fancier, more complex shapes and not have to worry about drawing them... But, the "prettified" version is not necessary for that, it is truly for my own enjoyment...
    That is very true. I was thinking about it and shouldn't a ship named "The Golden Elk" have an elk for a figurehead? Either way it's really a great map
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

Guild Adept Facebook Connected

Quote Originally Posted by jtougas View Post
    That is very true. I was thinking about it and shouldn't a ship named "The Golden Elk" have an elk for a figurehead? Either way it's really a great map
    Fair enough...
    I choose the name "Golden Elk" as a homage on the real "Golden Hind" before starting to work on the map.
    I was about halfway through the map when I stumbled on various figure heads on the Dundjinni forums, all too good to pass on... (you'll notice the first picture i posted did not have a figure head, it is because I had not found it yet...).

I do not think I gave my players the name of the ship yet. All that they know is that they were hired to stop a pirate from preying on the water around Waterdeep and that a trader in Luskan (a city known for haroburing pirates) have recently sold quite a few Waterdhavian goods...
    I can still change the name of the ship into something mentioning Dragon. On the other hands... I may keep it (the ship my players are sailling with is called the "pantless dragonfly" on none of them even asked why...).

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Simon33600 View Post
    Fair enough...
    I choose the name "Golden Elk" as a homage on the real "Golden Hind" before starting to work on the map.
    I was about halfway through the map when I stumbled on various figure heads on the Dundjinni forums, all too good to pass on... (you'll notice the first picture i posted did not have a figure head, it is because I had not found it yet...).

I do not think I gave my players the name of the ship yet. All that they know is that they were hired to stop a pirate from preying on the water around Waterdeep and that a trader in Luskan (a city known for haroburing pirates) have recently sold quite a few Waterdhavian goods...
    I can still change the name of the ship into something mentioning Dragon. On the other hands... I may keep it (the ship my players are sailling with is called the "pantless dragonfly" on none of them even asked why...).
    Either way it's a great map and a great platform for adventure. And you HAVE to do a map of the "Pantless Dragonfly" that is the BEST name for a ship I have EVER heard....
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.