Thread: Village of Albridge - Developed draft, need input

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Guild Novice

No worries about the critique. I am working off of an existing map which had the central portions of the map pretty much as presented. Albridge is one village in a community of several small communities in a small but gentle valley inside a much larger valley/watershed region. As I mentioned, the central parts of the map come with the original design flaws. The Lord of the region dwells in a keep in another village about 10 miles to the south of Albridge, but in this adventure, he has been taken captive by a large group of mercenaries. This village has become the centre of resistance, and the battle in question is intended to draw the mercenaries out of the stronghold... So oddly enough the village's lack of a Lord's manor makes sense. Each village is administered by an elder... As for a place of worship, I know that the village to the south has one, but I have to check the town layout again to see if one of these buildings is already designated as such. It'd be small regardless.

Points about having posts in the river and a small wharf are good, especially given that there is a family of halflings that transports goods up and down the river. Moorings aren't on the original map, but I can certainly add those.

As for the paved/cobblestone road, it is the remnants of an road built by an empire that fell approximately 100 years before the present day. The village has essentially grown up around this old infrastructure, maintaining it as they can, along with other villages in the region. I'd like for a way to show its overall age. Some Roman Roads still exist today, and I see it kind of in the same way, but maybe maintained slightly better.

I still have more fields to put in. This picture shows earthworks that I am not convinced I should keep, but I am happy to add in a lot more in the way of hedgerows. The village population is about 160, but the whole reigion is closer to 2000. The old market square is maintained for the whole region, as the village with the Lord's keep does not have one. It seems as if each of the six villages in the region its own special role, with Albridge being the trade centre.

I will add more in the way of fields... Although what should I do about pastureland? Should it be around the fringes of the map? I will also add moorings for the boat trade as well. I've been looking at historical information on medieval villages, and trying to incorporate some of that as it fits with what was already provided. If I get a moment, I'll post the original map so you can see what I started with.
    Last edited by Agatheron; 11-03-2012 at 12:29 PM.