Thread: Village of Albridge - Developed draft, need input

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

This looks pretty good, and people appear to have given you some pretty good advice. Very clear and nicely higgledepiggledy.

There are a couple of things I've noticed though, but they are dependent on the world Albridge is set.

First, I notice that the there is a large paved area presumably for a market. In a medieval setting, that paved area would be very expensive, so the market must bring a lot of business into the village (actually, the number of houses would indicate that it's more of a small town).

Second, whilst there is what looks like a manor (the walled set of stone buildings in the centre) in which the village's owning lord would reside, there doesn't seem to be a place of worship for whatever gods your people follow. Again, this is dependent on the setting, but most medieval villages (especially of this size) had a church.

Third, what are the the little group of buildings in the northwest? It seems odd that they have no fields or pasture around them. Unless they're a leper colony!

Finally, I'd agree that an area of common land and more fields would be a good idea as there doesn't seem to be enough to feed everyone living there and have leftovers to sell at their great big market. The peasants would be alloted their own small plot of land for subsistence farming and be expected to farm the lord's land. Additionally in a medieval village the fields would be mostly strips of land - but that isn't something I'd worry about as it looks good as it is.

Sorry if this comes across as a bit negative, I do actually like what you've done.
    Last edited by Lorgath; 11-03-2012 at 11:00 AM.