Thread: Torn and Its Two Moons

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Here's and updated version.

For a variety of reasons, I'm considering changing the angle of Mani's orbit, increasing its present 5-degree angle from Torn's Ecliptic Plane (around its closer sun, Odur) to a 15-degree angle. This would make Mani's path across the sky swing, over the course of a sidereal month, both 15 degrees north and 15 south of the path that the sun Odur follows across the sky. This is visually more interesting but makes tidal calculations, which are already complicated, even more so.

For purposes of this diagram, the alteration presents a challenge. Lowering the green line of Mani's Orbital Plane 10 degrees pushes the image of the moon itself down far enough to squish it against the box containing the images and text for The Wolves. I'd have to move The Wolves' box over to the lower right corner and put my signature in the lower left. Moving the orbit would also make the angles of the two main moons' orbits far more similar, closer to equally balanced off of Torn's Ecliptic Plaine. This seems likely give the entire image too much visual symmetry for my tastes.

While I know I cannot let map design govern planetary system development, it always hurts to diminish an image's visual effect!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Torn and Its Moons 03 - EJR.jpg 
Views:	1343 
Size:	4.57 MB 
ID:	49730  
    We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.
    -George Bernard Shaw