Thread: The Lighthouse (Tavern)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Yea I understand what you meant by profile. It was the how were the windows and such created, and I would be interested to hear more about it that peeked the background story of it. I really appreciated the insight btw, I know it will really help me on the next map I do. I know one of the things I really neglected in my early maps were water closets and baths. I dont know how these people are gonna stay clean!! hehe Its just one of those moments when you smack yourself in the head and go DOH! Hey I am still learning. I am just happy to have a place like this to share my work. Below is a little background on the Lighthouse Tavern.

The windows are indeed magical, a gift to the owner from an old teacher. They are guarenteed not to break, at least by non-magical means. The lanterns were crafted by the tavern's owner, Tulwen Brook. He wasn't a powerful wizard, but he knew enough to do such things. He also had two daughters who sing within the tavern, Coria and Karanda. Two beautiful women who favor their mother alot, and are quite famous in the region for their songs. Another tid bit is that Tulwen has a tipping jar sitting on the end of the bar, which is not on the map, called "The Bolger". Its named after a rogue he once adventured with to honor his memory, and love of coins. The initial shield that looks golden on the map, was donated by one of Tulwen's best friends. His name was Bregus, the warrior of the same party of the rogue. He now works for the lord of the area as a high ranking official in his army. Tulwen's wife died some time ago from a slow acting poison that took years to effect her mind to the point of death. Her daughter was named after her, Coria. Tulwen and Coria were the ones who discovered the griffon egg on their way back to Tulwen's home town, Laerem. The mother of the egg was mortally wounded by a group of bandits, which the two fended off. before dying the griffon willed it into Tulwen's care along with a small cache of treasure. Tulwen, having a similar story to his life, gladly gave the egg a home and place in his life. His true ambition however was to always own his tavern.

Map

Okay here is an inn I did around the same time I did The Lighthouse. I wanted something with a little dim lighting, with an illuminated pool of water. On the first floor there is an area below where one could be off alone. I think its where I would sit if I would walk into the place and wanted to be alone with my party. I liked the cracked floor look on the first map I did so much I wanted to try it on this one. In the end, I didn't like it as much as I thought I would, it isn't consistant enough for an actual wood floor. This is the other map I had already merged though. The other mistake I could point out would be the lack of water closets and baths. I suppose its just not something you think about when your playing DnD. No one really ever raises a hand and says, Um my character has to use the bathroom. lol I found I had to "hand craft" alot of my own furniture to meet my own scale demands. I suppose I just wanted to be original.

This was originally an elvish owner's establishment. The inn itself was build atop a spring.

Thanks again for the uploading tips. Hope you enjoy the map.

Sylven
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Crystal Pool Main Floor.jpg 
Views:	270 
Size:	722.2 KB 
ID:	3863   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Crystal Portal Second Floor.jpg 
Views:	181 
Size:	772.6 KB 
ID:	3864  

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

Very nice. I like the inventive layout and the water feature!

Just wondering a little about the floor texture. The pattern suggests a roughly paved floor, but the wood texture suggests planks. Not sure which this is.

Honestly I dont know what I was thinking when I did that on the wood. I suppose I just liked it on the lava flow of the other map. In the end, I believe it could have looked better with just the plain wood texture. On a positive note, it looks much better than the wood planks I originally had down.

Ive been working on another map, trying to impliment things I knew I made mistakes on in earlier maps. Everyone has been such an inspiration with their tips and advice. And some of the maps I have found on the site are fantastic, wonderful work.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Badger's Avatar

love the pool on the second map... you might get a lot more out a program like Photoshop or the free version of PS-- GIMP ...PSPro is nice, but I've found that PS or GIMP can really broaden your creativity with maps ... just a thought