Thread: W.I.P map for upcoming novel... would love critique before starting in Photoshop

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

No problem.

There are three ways (in my opinion) to look at the river width issue. One is to make it as wide as it actually is for the scale of the map. In that case, it would be only the finest of lines, no matter how wide it is. Even the mighty Mississippi, which drains everything between the Rockies and the Appalachians is only a couple of pixels wide at this scale in a satellite view. Other rivers are only visible at all because the land around them is somewhat greener. That's not really practical for a map, though, and this isn't a satellite style, anyway, so I think you'd be safe to ignore the physically accurate approach.

The second is to make it as wide as the people who interact with it perceive it to be. The people see it as the biggest river they can imagine, so on their maps, it's drawn quite wide, much like you have it here.

The third is to link the feature's size to its importance. There are two ways you can go here: how important is it to the cartographer, and how important is it to the story?

All told, I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing for the river to be oversized in comparison to the map's scale, but if it is, it should be for a reason. Even if you make up the reason afterward! ;-)

Oh, and if this is going to be printed in a book, remember that it's going to be rather small. So don't go overboard with details. Take a look at some maps in existing fantasy novels, especially softcovers to see what looks good to you and what looks overwrought. Tad Williams' Memory, Sorrow & Thorn trilogy is a good example: I really like the coastlines, mountains and hills, but the forest seems muddy to me.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Next step in the rough map. Had to play with the color a bit (cause I like sepia maps better). still rough. still looking for critique.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Map Day 3 or was it 4.jpg 
Views:	976 
Size:	3.31 MB 
ID:	49751

Gotta get to work or I'd write more.

Thank you all for your help,

Geno

Alrighty, I was able to work on the map on my lunch break, and I figured I'd get this question out there for those who have been kind enough to help me with this (and any others who would be willing to give advice).

I'm feeling like the map is muddy and part of the problem may be how much territory I'm trying to cover with this map. So tip, advice, critique... are all welcome. Also, I'd love to get opinions on which of these two would be better.

Name:	Day 3 Map Zoomed.jpg 
Views:	308 
Size:	1.13 MB 
ID:	49763

or

Name:	Day 3 Map Zoomed Less.jpg 
Views:	611 
Size:	1.20 MB 
ID:	49764

The compass rose is just a place holder. I'm wanting to start cleaning this up, but I'd love a few last minute critiques from willing parties. Thank you to those who've already responded, and thank you in advance for any others who will.

Blessings,

Geno