Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Your favourite fantasy world?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I have spent many years gaming in the Forgotten Realms setting and it is the one I have the most invested in. Currently we are playing a Spelljammer campaign in the Forgotten Realms Sphere.

I am thinking about trying a campaign in The Dragon Riders of Pern world. Does anyone know if there is a RPG based on Pern? I've read all the books and it is a very richly detailed world with a lot of history.

Quote Originally Posted by Bogie View Post
    I am thinking about trying a campaign in The Dragon Riders of Pern world. Does anyone know if there is a RPG based on Pern? I've read all the books and it is a very richly detailed world with a lot of history.
    As far as I am aware, there is no official Pern RPG. I do recall once seeing a pretty good game made with Fudge, though, and there was a long-running Pern MUSH at one point (and maybe still, some of those old MUDs and MUSHes have turned out to be surprisingly robust). I think I was the only smithcrafter in that entire world. At least during the time I was playing.

I really enjoyed elements of Tad Williams' Osten Ard, although I get a little bored with fantasy societies that merely mimic historical ones. The background on the Norns and Sithi was fascinating, though, and I felt like they were truly alien, and not just long-lived humans with pointy ears. And Williams' Otherland was pretty cool, too, although it's a sci-fi VR world, and not properly fantasy.

Portions of Robin Hobb's setting for the Farseer Trilogy and following novels are really inviting. The Bingtown Traders' culture is well developed: just familiar enough to be comfortable, but more than mysterious enough to be interesting. Other parts of that world feel a bit flat to me. The Mountain Kingdom is just about as interesting as its name.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I can't believe I forgot Pern !! That would be such a great RPG Bogie. The quest back to technology could make for a fascinating game. If you ever decide to go forward with that, let me know I'd love to help. and from now on you can call me J'on..
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

For me it is Palladium Fantasy RPG. The setting is hands down my favorite!

Guild Novice Facebook Connected

Default Amber & Krynn

I'm a fan of the Dragonlance series and Zelazny's Amber series. I made a map for Amber & Chaos, which I'll post when I'm able

Guild Applicant Facebook Connected

I have a really soft spot for Pern (Dragonriders of Pern) and Ascalon (Dragonlance). I found these both at the perfect age in my life for going in hard into fantasy, and I have fantastic memories about stomping through the lands of both. For an RPG world, definitely Ascalon. It's the quintessential RPG setting for me.

I have spent many years gaming in the Forgotten Realms setting and it is the one I have the most invested in. Currently we are playing a Spelljammer campaign in the Forgotten Realms Sphere.

Regards,
    Last edited by Diamond; 12-11-2021 at 05:28 PM. Reason: Removed spam links

My interpretation so far is that roughly at the halfway point of book 2, Kvothe decided to really start messing with Chronicler or at the very least is lying his ass off since he'd rather have a fantastic representation of whatever happened compared to the truth. Considering he goes from being a lucky guile hero to a ninja master who sleeps with sex fairies and fighter of racism (#notalledemaruh), I think stuff went down way differently in that book than Kvothe is letting on. My fingers are crossed for book 3 having people start appearing and calling out Kvothes BS. shareit get-vidmateapk.com
    Last edited by vicycletwo; 01-15-2021 at 01:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by vicycletwo View Post
    My interpretation so far is that roughly at the halfway point of book 2, Kvothe decided to really start messing with Chronicler or at the very least is lying his ass off since he'd rather have a fantastic representation of whatever happened compared to the truth. Considering he goes from being a lucky guile hero to a ninja master who sleeps with sex fairies and fighter of racism (#notalledemaruh), I think stuff went down way differently in that book than Kvothe is letting on. My fingers are crossed for book 3 having people start appearing and calling out Kvothes BS.
    Book 3. Lol. Although it is far more likely than Martin ever continuing GOT.

Edit: I think Rothfuss built himself into a corner saying there were only three books/days and it's just not enough space, so that has been a real spanner in the gears.
    Last edited by Falconius; 01-14-2021 at 03:57 PM.

My favorite fantasy world is the world of the Lord of the rings. Perfectly designed and very rich in all sorts of elements! Tolkien was simply a master of creating fantasy worlds. Every time I read his books, I wanted to immerse myself in the world he wrote. Then I was just thrilled! And in principle, the universe of middle-earth was very high-quality, leaving me in a state of tension throughout any book. In this regard, Tolkien is a real Genius! The same opinion is shared by everyone with whom I met on my favorite forum on Tolkien's books: https://www.thetolkienforum.com/wiki/Helms-Deep
    Last edited by brycechard; 09-01-2021 at 09:03 AM.

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast