Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Your favourite fantasy world?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

World of Greyhawk! There are a lot of great other worlds, but that is my favorite.

For me, it's a tie between the world created in the Spellmonger Series by Terry Mancour, and the Cosmere by Brandon Sanderson. It's a tough choice too, since I love different things about the different universes they have created. I love how Spellmonger handles divinity, for example - being faith based constructs of humanity and unique to the magic of humans, a concept I adapted to my own setting. At the same time, I love how creative the Cosmere can be, particularly Roshar. There's a lot of concepts that just inspire me.

Default I can't pick just 1

When I was a kid I loved Tolkien and Dungeons and Dragons, and Conan. As I got older I enjoyed the Out of the Ashes series of books as well as Call of Cthulhu. The older I got, the more I started to like Westerns. I guess I can't pick just one. I feel if something is released in the right time the right place it will take off and people will mimic it and the "ride" begins. 1 successful superhero movie started it all- remember ? Now the market is so saturated and the heroes they pick now are meh.

I am thinking about trying a campaign in The Dragon Riders of Pern world. Does anyone know if there is a RPG based on Pern? I've read all the books and it is a very richly detailed world with a lot of history.

I have spent many years gaming in the Forgotten Realms setting and it is the one I have the most invested in. Currently we are playing a Spelljammer campaign in the Forgotten Realms Sphere.

I've been visiting Osted Ard (Tad Williams's Memory, Sorry, and Thorn and the more recent follow on series Last King of Osten Ard) since I was 11, so that will always have a special place in my heart. As too will Krynn, the world of Dragonlance, because of the (literal, I'm not exaggerating) decades I've spent there playing AD&D.

But, if I had to pick just one fantasy world or universe: Michael Moorcock's Multiverse. No question. The themes, the richness, the variation, everything about it.

Tolkien's Middle Earth definitely remains the ultimate reference. In my opinion, not only the author's storytelling skills are the reason but also that he kept on developing it for decades. His approach to recalling a history from various sources is pretty unique and reinforces the idea that as years pass, much of what remains is how people remember things as opposed to what they might have accurately been.

In more recent works, Joe Dever's Magnamund setting from his Lone Wolf game book series is fabulous and rich. The Cubicle 7 TTRPG has a fantastic sourcebook that focuses just on the world and its history. Great stuff!

The world of German RPG The Dark Eye, Aventuria is also extremely rich and is unique in that it integrates player experiences and deeds to develop its history over time.

The setting of Numenera has also fascinated me for a while, although I have never played the game.

Quote Originally Posted by wfgWorkshop View Post
    Tolkien's Middle Earth definitely remains the ultimate reference. In my opinion, not only the author's storytelling skills are the reason but also that he kept on developing it for decades. His approach to recalling a history from various sources is pretty unique and reinforces the idea that as years pass, much of what remains is how people remember things as opposed to what they might have accurately been.
    I definetly like the Work of Tolkien as well. Its one of the first worlds I immersed into. Also the maps are the style I would like to recreate...

There is also the World of Elan, from Michael J. Sullivan Books. It has a long history in itself as well (of course not as detailed as Tolkien...)

Recently I read books from Elizabeth Moon and her Paladin's Legacy. Its less fantasy like, but still very deep.

I think the setting I've liked the most is Eberron. I like the history and the potential to heal and fix things, and the variety for characters and stories that could come from there.

I'd have to say my OG favourite fantasy setting has got to be Dragonlance.

And the Warhammer Fastasy setting has always been incredibly captivating.

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast