Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Your favourite fantasy world?

I think the world from Malazan Book of the Fallen is amazing. I love the multitude of different continents. The world just feels huge to me.

Yeah the Malazan one is really great, though I find following the jump from book to book very confusing, unless you read them all in a row perhaps, whioch I've never done.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond View Post
    2. Jack Vance's Dying Earth and Lyonesse
    Got to second that one. Mostly because Vance didn't really bother that much, it was a simply an empty canvas for him to create brilliant stories and the world just flows into and out of them, so it ends up being brilliant as well.

I like the world from the dragon lance series because I read a book about a Minotaur once. And one about a black smith/warrior (was it the same one?).

One of my favorites is of course Darksun. It's an archetype and a really good one.

Also Narnia. Really one of the best series ever so how could one not include it?

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond View Post
    I've tried three different times to read Gardens of the Moon by Erikson, and... I just couldn't do it.
    Don't start with Gardens of the Moon, start with the one after it, Deadhouse Gates.

Azeroth. Hands down. I grew up with the Warcraft universe as well as participated in a WC3 RP community for quite sometime. I've also spent many hours of my life playing WoW, so I have a slight bias to justify the time investment.

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Falconius View Post
    Don't start with Gardens of the Moon, start with the one after it, Deadhouse Gates.
    I did finally read Gardens and then Deadhouse Gates (which was AWESOME). But I stalled out about 80 pages into the third one and haven't picked it up in months.

Haha, yeah it's a series that is very inconsistent from book to book. Deadhouse Gates was the best though, (there were a couple more that came close).

My favorite was the world presented in the First Avatar: Avatar Wan episodes of LoK. The time taken to create a very different style of animation, and present a mythical world warrants far more exploration than it has thus far received.

Professor Barker's Tekumel!

Not worlds, as such, because for me it's hard to distinguish the settings from the stories.

R.E Howard's, Conan
    Moorcocks, Eternal Champion Series, particularly Elric & Hawkmoon's worlds.
    Lieber's Lankhmar
    Tolkien's Middle Earth, of course.

For games, MRQII Elric, Faerun, I liked the Dragonlance setting from the books but never played in it, Ebberon and Golarion.
    Glory is the reward of valour.

My blog at: damonjynx.blogspot.com.au

Finished Maps

So many great ones. Someone make a poll?

I would vote for REH's Hyboria, Tolkien's Middle Earth, Lieber's Lankhmar, and Burrough's Mars.

Some recent additions might be:
    Bas-Lag - Mieville
    Eberron - DnD
    Tamriel / Skyrim
    The Trisolaris world in Remembrance of Earth's Past - Liu Cixin

And just to keep it all intellectual...
    Invisible Cities - Calvino
    Last edited by atomikdog; 06-30-2017 at 11:19 PM.

Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast