Thread: Your favourite fantasy world?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I have spent many years gaming in the Forgotten Realms setting and it is the one I have the most invested in. Currently we are playing a Spelljammer campaign in the Forgotten Realms Sphere.

I am thinking about trying a campaign in The Dragon Riders of Pern world. Does anyone know if there is a RPG based on Pern? I've read all the books and it is a very richly detailed world with a lot of history.

Quote Originally Posted by Bogie View Post
    I am thinking about trying a campaign in The Dragon Riders of Pern world. Does anyone know if there is a RPG based on Pern? I've read all the books and it is a very richly detailed world with a lot of history.
    As far as I am aware, there is no official Pern RPG. I do recall once seeing a pretty good game made with Fudge, though, and there was a long-running Pern MUSH at one point (and maybe still, some of those old MUDs and MUSHes have turned out to be surprisingly robust). I think I was the only smithcrafter in that entire world. At least during the time I was playing.

I really enjoyed elements of Tad Williams' Osten Ard, although I get a little bored with fantasy societies that merely mimic historical ones. The background on the Norns and Sithi was fascinating, though, and I felt like they were truly alien, and not just long-lived humans with pointy ears. And Williams' Otherland was pretty cool, too, although it's a sci-fi VR world, and not properly fantasy.

Portions of Robin Hobb's setting for the Farseer Trilogy and following novels are really inviting. The Bingtown Traders' culture is well developed: just familiar enough to be comfortable, but more than mysterious enough to be interesting. Other parts of that world feel a bit flat to me. The Mountain Kingdom is just about as interesting as its name.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name