Page 6 of 28 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread: Lands of Fagacea

Blog Entries

The fading out around the edges seems a bit odd, particularly combined with the neatline/border. The point of such a border is to give a clear idea of the extent of the map. I'd recommend having the map features go right up to the border with no fading.

Your labels could also do with some work. Labeling is difficult and one of the things that really shows the skill of a cartographer.

Some rules of thumb:

Don't cut off labels. Either include the whole thing, or don't.

Labels should be either straight and horizontal, or curved. Straight labels along a diagonal usually look bad.

Use a single clear typeface, or related family of faces. You're sticking to one, which is good, but the particular face you've chosen is a bit hard to read in places, particularly where it's smaller or curved.

Guild Adept Facebook Connected aquarits's Avatar

Thank you Hai for helping.
    You right about the fading, i was just thinking that maybe the "designer" of the map tried not "smudge" the border, so he just not drawed the map near the borders. But i saw i conflicting it cutting the labels. I removed the fade and yes, it got better.

Right! I will not cut the Labels
    About the label format, i am still not sure, maybe is just a visual question. I Curved and i guess the font/ typeface donst match, looks better straight... I did the both maps just to check in same time, still dont know

About the difficulties in reading, guess 2 reasons.
    1- i have to low a lots the quality of the image, coz my file gots a huge size. Doing it a "0 quality in PS" still getting 1,5 mb, trying 3~4 it up for 6mb. And still soon to upload a image with that size, since just discussing
    2- I guess with taht quality and using "portuguese" in my map, it make hard to understand.

When i see my full file here, looks nice and some ppl of my country, read without problens. Hope just quality

After you said about the fade, i made some adjstments in the effects, that made the map more clear. Follow the both maps:

links with a little bigger image

Curved Labels
    Straight Labels

I re-worked my elements, using a thin brush, guess i found the best type and color, i liked how looks my mountains, and now i guess i found a better color for my trees, the green after i use the template wasn't nice before and i tried other.
    Now i am doing some elements, i want to give some level to the places. I have 2 examples of elevations in this map.

1 - I liked how it shows the path of the roads near the sea and looks like similar to the other elements in the map.
    2 - Still not using this, just put in the map to get some feed back. I want to put some cliffs near the sea or use in other place, but not sure if it is right for this style of map and if it looks beuty

Link with a big size

Ahhh, still dont like the colors of my trees. I made a bigger map just to see all elements.

Link with a big size
    Last edited by aquarits; 01-11-2013 at 09:00 PM.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor - Max -'s Avatar

The trees seems maybe a bit too dark? Anyway the map is pretty small to really see the elements on it

Yes it looks dark, i put a link with a large image. will not upload the better resolution, coz the file is too large. Maybe i go to a "more yellow" color for my trees. Dunno need help

But your link don't send to a big pic :/ Maybe you can add a highlight touch on the top the trees? It would be a hell of a job though cause you probably have to do it one by one....

Right ty Max, you helped me a lots
    You tutorial in one other thread ( http://www.cartographersguild.com/to...village-6.html ) opened my mind for a lots of things, when i look to the map i fell that it get better, and i observed your map of "Lorn" and learn a lots this evening

http://www.cartographersguild.com/at...lage-river.pdf

I rebuild my mountains and trees, and passed a lots of time searching brushes and modifying for how i want that it looks.
    This is the picture with my old and the current icons. Left side are the new, i skip use 2 colors in mountains and changed the color of the trees. Removed the old shadow lines from both to use a brush. The right side of the sea is the old and weird set of icons.

LINK WITH BIG SIZE

Following Schwarzkreuz's tuto guess i got it
    Quote Originally Posted by Schwarzkreuz View Post
    Hi I did a small Tutorial for you.

Also, a graphic tablet is an electric tool to draw directly into Photoshop or whatever u use for drawing your map.

Glad I could help you Aquarits. Forests looks pretty good Now you really to work on a new icon set! :p

Ty Max!
    Last update, i fell ready to upload a full version. Pls comment what is wrong. Ty!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fagacea_Rebuild_ver2.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	2.25 MB 
ID:	51221  
    Last edited by aquarits; 01-13-2013 at 05:20 PM. Reason: Posted wrong Map :D

Page 6 of 28 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast