After a few hours of hand cramping I've gotten to this point with this map. I don't have Larb's artistic talent so my trees are basicaly "blobs" of varying shades of green with a very low opacity texture and some highlights and shadows. For anyone that might be interested here is a little background on the way things are named in Shendenflar:

Places in the Kingdom of Shendenflar are generally named for what they do or where they are. The suffix "run" is a local term for river hence Southrun and Northrun. Southrun being the Southernmost town on the Fler river and Northrun being North of the capital of Riverhewn. In Shendenflar the Fler river is called the "Cold Run" due to it's origin somewhere far in the North.

Quote Originally Posted by Larb View Post
That's great, I am glad it is sort of translatable into GIMP. My only comment would be that some of the roof shadows are inconsistent.
Thanks. Your tut is so well designed that it's easy to make the adaptations to GIMP. I actually started this in PS but I didn't like the way the line tool kept making new rectangle layers for each roof line (I'm sure I was doing something wrong as I am VERY new to PS and I am far more comfortable in GIMP.) GIMP handles somethings different as you can't apply filters to blank layers and then fill them or other wise manipulate them and the outer and inner glows are a bit different. As for my shadows I am hopeless when it comes to that sort of thing. I have a real problem figuring out where things like that are supposed to go and I usually screw it up at some point. Thanks again for a great tutorial !!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Southrun.jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	1.51 MB 
ID:	49984