Thread: W.I.P. - Map for my novel - Would like some critiquing please

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

If the map is intended to be published in a physical book, then I wouldn't bother with the parchment background. It's already going to be on paper, so why print a picture of paper with it? What is the intended size of the finished piece? I know if this were printed in a typical paperback book, most of the labels and features would be too tiny to see.

If it's intended as a digital companion piece, a coffee-table book, a poster, or simply your own reference, then those objections do not matter.

You've definitely got some evocative names. I particularly like Frostmoor; that sounds like a place I definitely would not want to visit. You might consider indicating some kind of portage or canal on the isthmus in that vicinity. It seems likely that there would be a lot of traffic there to move things from the Bay of Frostmoor up into the Frozen Seas without having to navigate all the way around that landmass.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Default Wow!

When I opened up the picture of the map, all I could say was 'Wow!' The whole map looks awesome, but because I am gawking at this thread and typing this on an ancient iPhone 3G, and it does not have very good graphics, I can't make out the details. But what I can see looks great. Keep up the good work!