Thread: Greetings and はじめまして

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Post Konichi wa!

Welcome, konichi wa. Akita gets cold! Samui desho.

I'm half Japanese, and have spent time in Yokosuka, Yokohama, Kyoto, Osaka and the Shimaneken district. My mother lived in Akita as a child sometime before the war, though she is actually from Shimaneken district on the western side of Honshu. I digress.

Welcome to the guild - let's see some maps!
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Blog Entries

Hi Thorf,

Welcome. You might be interested to know that there is a MeDem project running which is to create a DEM of Middle Earth at ridiculous resolution. The project has been going for several years and a lot of effort has been put into it. The main site for that is www.medem.org except that the site got hacked again so is down for a few days whilst it gets fixed and patched.

Still, to get some idea of what is going on there is a post here from one of the admins Monks :-

http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=1332

and even though the main site is down all the links should work I think. So you can see the scale and effort being put into it.

Most of the main admins are here Monks, SeerBlue, Arandil and myself. Were missing just Oshyan who is very busy as a key developer of Terragen and a planetside admin. I should add that I am not a Tolkien guru but more of a programmer making tools to enable us to get there - the others have much more extensive knowledge of the world and his writings.

The attached pic is the land in 3D. The map so far is 10K pix square but thats just the starter map. The intnention is to get it to about 100K square. You can see the 'Mistys' Mountains running through the middle of which the links in the post are referring to.

So yeah, post anything you have right now and we can chat about ME more later.
    Last edited by Redrobes; 05-26-2008 at 09:35 AM.