1 1.52%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: May Challenge Voting

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Administrator Facebook Connected Robbie's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Post May Challenge Voting

Well then...Here goes...yet another recordbreaking challenge event!

Our first sponsored even, and our largest turnout ever!

This month the challenge was to create a map for a VTT yet keep the file size under 75kb, and everyone seems to have met that requirement and then some! We've had some fantastic entries this month, and apparently some people even learned a thing or two. I can't wait to see how the voting turns out for this one.

I'm going to do this one a little different. Thanks to RedRobes fantastic thumbnail grabber we're going to use that instead of our regular bulleted list of entries as its easier. We're currently working on getting that thumbnailer built into the site, but until then, here's the link.

List of Entries by Thumbnail

Remember the rules, and the guidelines:
    • The map must have a resolution of at least 1280 X 1024 pixels
    • The filesize must be no more than 75kb.
    • The map must be useful as a "battlemap" on which miniatures (thumbnail size tokens), can be moved around. A scale of around 5 - 10 pixels per foot is a good size.
    • The map must depict an area on land, which could include building interiors, town areas, dungeons, wilderness areas, etc. It doesn't have to be fantasy themed...modern, western, sci-fi, etc. are fine.

And happy voting!!!
    All Hail FlappyMap! Long Live MapFeed!

Robbie Powell - Site Admin

Indeed. Since this challenge had a very specific technical aspect to it, I decided to vote based on compression ratio. So I voted for myself. (-;

Seriously, though, I calculated the compression ratios of every entry and here are the top five, in descending order:

Midgardsormr: 63.815 pixels / byte
    Valarian: 47.523 px / byte
    RobA: 26.697 px / byte
    rlucci: 25.062 px / byte
    matthuwm: 23.056 px / byte

These numbers are based on the "properties" window in Internet Explorer, in which the file size is slightly larger than that reported by the forum software.

I freely admit that I designed "to the judge" in this case. I knew from the outset how I would choose my vote, and I built my map to compress as small as possible and still be larger than most other offerings. All other offerings, as it turned out, although Valarian could easily have exceeded my resolution; he had more than enough file size left.

Had I judged on visual appeal and useability instead, I'd still be trying to figure out where to put my vote. Rlucci, Torq, Cisticola, Meleeguy, Torstan, and dorpond all turned in stellar entries.

Good job, everyone! And good luck in the polls!
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Blog Entries

C'mon thats crazy. Everyone was trying very hard to hit the 74.999Kb image size which would maximize the quality per pixel whilst still being under the limits. We could have all gone lower at the expense of quality. Apart from Valarian who used the PNG format everyone else (I believe) used JPG and had a variable compression ratio to adjust. A much better objective test would be to see how much difference the compressed maps were compared to uncompressed (or lossless) versions so as to determine how much compromise had to be introduced to make the byte ceiling. In which case only Valarian would get a 100% score anyway.

Valarian is in my vote running but if I ask which piece id hang on the wall I get a different answer. Also if I ask which one is most suitable for a VTT I get another and I am inspired by yet another and in terms of which map is farthest out of my ability to repro then I get another. I haven't made up my mind yet. Theres so many good ones and who ever wins surely deserves it this month.

Well done everyone. Drill down from the thumbs and don't just look at the small image. Some of the entries look better full size.

Well, I've never claimed I wasn't crazy...

No sane person would have calculated the compression ratio for every single entry! Yours is 17.759 pixels / byte, by the way.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Administrator Facebook Connected Robbie's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I think the beauty of this challenge is the open-endedness of the requirements. Keep in mind that as long as you keep the given requirements in mind when casting your vote...your method of vote choice is specifically a matter of opinion. I REALLY appreciate the different views on criteria. And we had a minor debate in the CL forum about voting criteria...in the end it came down to leaving it up to you the voting public to decide your vote criteria beyond the given guidelines.

My personal take is of course getting the best looking map out of the 75k ceiling...but I am 100% on board with other takes on the 75k requirement.
    All Hail FlappyMap! Long Live MapFeed!

Robbie Powell - Site Admin

After loading up every map in Maptool to give them a VT test run, I am really surprised that MeleeGuy didn't get any votes yet. His map lined up perfectly to grid and is a great generic map that can be used in any setting.

Let it be known MeleeGuy, your map will have a lot of longevity and is extremely useful - I will definately use it. Hmmm.. I wonder if we should make some rooftops for it?

Guild Journeyer

Quote Originally Posted by dorpond View Post
    extremely useful - I will definately use it.
    I appreciate that bit of encouragement, thank you. I plan to continue on with it and others, after a short break.

Bringing up our maps side by side and I agree with the board that yours is the better map. Your use of textures borders on exquisite. There is one particular spot on the main bluffs that is particularly realistic, reminding me of the lower Grand Canyon rim. Well done! And best of all, you demonstrated the techniques behind it's construction.

I voted for Redrobes for reasons I find hard to explain relative to the other maps. I'm surprised the mud caves didin't do better myself, but that is the nature of 'contests'. My regards to those running this and others for the benefit of the community. Great job.

Dormouse, that you for the very useful feedback. I'm intrigued by VTTs, although I haven't played any as yet. I need to learn more about how things are done and so I will.

My map is exactly 8 pixels per foot in both dimensions, which I should have mentioned from the outset, hence 1280x1040.

Guild Journeyer

Post Meta-VTT Cartography Fascinated

So, in retrospect, many of us didn't understand VTT mapping requirements.

What a great way to learn, however! I had no idea. Hmmm, so where is a good place to discuss 'meta-VTT-cartography'? Is this perhaps a burgeoning field of interest? To further expand, how does all this relate to overhead projector maps (which I'm getting ready to actually do) .

My congratulations on being asked to host this contest btw. The prizes make it more exciting, but it was the subject itself, with the emphasis on cartography, that is the most facinating part of all (to me).
    Last edited by meleeguy; 06-01-2008 at 04:40 PM. Reason: grammar

Quote Originally Posted by meleeguy View Post
    So, in retrospect, many of us didn't understand VTT mapping requirements.

What a great way to learn, however! I had no idea. Hmmm, so where is a good place to discuss 'meta-VTT-cartography'? Is this perhaps a burgeoning field of interest? To further expand, how does all this relate to overhead projector maps (which I'm getting ready to actually do) .

My congratulations on being asked to host this contest btw. The prizes make it more exciting, but it was the subject itself, with the emphasis on cartography, that is the most facinating part of all (to me).
    I believe we may have a forum up for this very soon.
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast