Thread: Critique and feedback please?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Community Leader Guild Sponsor Korash's Avatar

Yup, nice map. Don't be shy showing what you are doing, because I think you have some talent that is just waiting to blossom. The Guild is a most furtile soil for budding Cartographers such as yourself, and we should be able to help you get to where you want to be in that regard.

As for the critique, I have to agree with Freodin on his two points. The rivers are really the only thing that detracts from the map itself, but rivers are always one of the hardest things to get right in the beginning. Just remember that as stated above that they flow from mountains to sea/lake/ocean and not ocean to ocean and you should be well on your way to figuring them out.

For the labeling, atm it is sometimes confusing me if the names are for locations or rivers, or mountains. As Freodin said, text on path is better used for rivers and such. If you have text that overlay terrain like at Wintergate and FallDragon Point, it is better if you give them a glow of some sort to make sure the text is visually sepperated from the features underneath. When it comes to the town text itself, I like what you did with Iron Hill and West Vale by curving the label under the symbol and think that is a decent way to do town labels...if it is consistant throughout the map. It is the consistancy of labels that make it easier to understand what they mean. I also find it hard to figure out that the differnt sizes of text signify...if anything. If the size indicates importance, it might be an idea to have a legend that indicates what size means what.

All in all, I like what you did, and can see some nice maps in your future, so please do take these crits as they are intended...as advice (not demands) to help you on your way. Remember, the map that is done to the best of your current ability, and to YOUR satisfaction, is a good map. And don't be shy to show it.

***EDIT...Gee...not like me to forget to do this, but Diamond made me all shame faced...I ntended to rep, but forgot, so here it is belated ...
    Last edited by Korash; 11-26-2012 at 07:30 PM. Reason: forgot to rep... :(
    Art Critic = Someone with the Eye of an Artist, Words of a Bard, and the Talent of a Rock.

Please take my critiques as someone who Wishes he had the Talent