Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: A Blank Globe

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Guild Journeyer

The problem with those is that shipping is going to be hellish at best.

If you have a good steady hand, and a large table you can use for a work space, then making a stacked cardboard globe is likely going to be your cheapest way of getting a good, strong globe. Get some corrugated cardboard, do the math for the size you want and start cutting out large circles that you can stack together. Save weight and material by then cutting smaller circles out of the middle of your larger ones, but leave a solid sheet every now and then. (Space them 4-5 inches should be fine) Make each circle say, and inch and a half, two inches wide. How many layers you use, and how much difference in diameter there is between each one depends on the thickness of your cardboard.

Save time and cut two layers at once, one for either hemisphere.

Good luck with your project, I'm thinking I might have to do this myself to get a better idea of my novel world. It would be easier than working on 3D models for it.

Quote Originally Posted by jumpjack
    48 Dollars rather than 114 for a 60 cm sphere???
    Great finding,thanks!
    I hope they send to italy.....
    I'll check.
    They don't send to italy... becuse they say the big ball is too fragile and it will break apart.
    ...so I told them I don't care if it breaks, I'll just... build the puzzle , as styrofoam pieces can be easily stitched together, without leaving any junction visible.
    And even if they are visible, I'm going to cover the ball with paper, so who cares?
    The replied they'll think about it...

editing post. sorry
    Last edited by Sam Conifer; 01-18-2011 at 06:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jumpjack View Post
    They don't send to italy... becuse they say the big ball is too fragile and it will break apart.
    ...so I told them I don't care if it breaks, I'll just... build the puzzle , as styrofoam pieces can be easily stitched together, without leaving any junction visible.
    And even if they are visible, I'm going to cover the ball with paper, so who cares?
    The replied they'll think about it...
    That's a top idea!!!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123