Thread: How to create temperature gradient E-W rather than N-S?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by Triplicate View Post
    The specific feature I'm trying to replicate is the east being much colder than the west at the same latitude.
    I don’t think that this is possible without approaching tidal lock. If the world rotates on a North-South axis in anything approaching 24 hours, the East and West will alternate day/night too rapidly to have a significant difference in temperature … the atmosphere will conduct heat and moderate the temperatures in horizontal bands.

A very slow rotation – like a 700 hour day – will allow the east or west hemisphere to experience a one week, all daylight summer, a one week slow sunset fall, a one week, all night winter and a one week slow sunrise spring.

With respect to the 90 degree inclination, the world rotates on a polar east-west axis (with north-south being defined by the celestial plane of the sun and planets). Assuming 24 hour rotation day and 365 day revolution year … The East polar hemisphere will experience 3 months of Tropical/Desert no sunset Summer, followed by 3 months of temperate sunrise-sunset fall, followed by 3 months of Arctic darkness Winter, followed by 3 months of temperate sunrise-sunset spring. During the Spring and Fall, the East and West Hemispheres will diverge towards opposite seasons as your map indicates (without the eternal day/night of tidal lock).

To heat only one side of a rotating sphere involves a minor heat source orbiting in a nearly geo-stationary orbit … a micro-sun orbiting over the east hemisphere. The micro-sun would need to advance slowly around the globe to move the ‘seasons’ east-west, otherwise one hemisphere gets perpetual summer and the other perpetual winter. I think that this starts to move from sci-fi into fantasy (not a criticism, just an observation) ... but Ptolemy would approve.
    Last edited by atpollard; 11-29-2012 at 10:55 AM.