Thanks

Inspiration initially came from China Mieville's novels; however, his map (http://www.curufea.com/games/crobuzon/crobuzon.gif) is bland, both aesthetically and geographically. The culture within makes up for it - but as a map enthusiast, I can do better.

Some aspects of the culture will draw on ancient Greek, particularly religion. I will incorporate more amphitheatres into the city (there is one near the port). The city itself is a few thousand years old, although the oldest remaining structures are around 1000 years; majority of the 'old city' is ~500 years; the Sister city began development around 100 years ago and has rapidly expanded.

I wonder what style I should use, to suggest emerging technology, yet retain a hint of fantasy...

This is industrial era, guns are mainstream, and iron warships are common. Scientific advances are being made frequently. 'Magic' here is dismissed as illusions for entertainment only.

I will be making this city as interesting as possible - I don't want to write 'journey' fantasy (again, inspired by Mieville) - I want to have a complex city that is full of mysteries.