I realize that this thread is pretty old, but it touches on a subject that it pretty dear to me right now.

I'd like to try my hand at that kind of star-map, but I have no idea on how to do it.

If somebody (perhaps even the OP themselves!) would be kind enough of writing up a short tutorial (PS CS6), that would be much appreciated. Even a general list of basic tutorials to look up for the various elements (glowing "borders"/"spheres of influence", the grid, glowing important star systems and choice of proper background image) would help!

I've found many a great tutorial here on the Cartgrapher's Guild, but most are solidly fantasy centered. And while I can (and have already done so! ) use the Ascension Atlas tutorial to create great maps for planets and moons, how to properly create a nice looking "political" 2d star map still eludes me.

Well, apart from the standard Traveller-like ones. But they don't fully do what I'd like. My main interest is seated in those borders/influence spheres and how to make them look both distinct as well as "cool"/"shiny".