Thread: Draesina: My First Attempt at Creating a Map :D

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Greetings! Attached are two versions of your world; one superimposed over a equirectangular map of the Earth, and another superimposed over the climate guide I used for my world map. I used Bryce 7.1 (still available for free at DAZ3D.com I think) to project your map onto the spheres you see above. Now you can get a better understanding of comparative climates. So it turns out it's not as bad as we (I) thought it would be regarding land usage on your world. You have lots more than we previously thought. Note where the northern cities like Toronto, New York, Oslo, Stockholm, Moscow, and Vancouver would be. That's about as far north as you'd get a lot of people to go.
    Note the temperate cities like San Francisco, Los Angeles, Rome, Paris, Rio De Janeiro, and Sydney. Sometimes gets hot, but never snows.
    Note the tropical and near tropical cities like Miami, Bangkok, Mumbai, and Taiwan. Possible jungle depending on the altitude. And look...your island is indeed in the tropical zone.
    And note how the main deserts are in two bands...The Mojave, the Sahara, the Arabian, the Gobi, the Sonoran, the Kalihari, the Namibian, the Great Australian...all slightly or well inland along those two latitudes. So:

Green= tropical. Centered around the equator and extending to the tropics (of Cancer and Capricorn on Earth)
    Red= the main desert zones
    Yellow= the temperate zones. Best weather on the planet.
    Blue= You've got to like cold weather if you live here. Summer is usually brief and mild, but never hot.
    White= Polar. The lands of ice and snow.

Of course, much of this depends on the axial tilt of your world.

Attachment 50478 Attachment 50479
    Last edited by ManOfSteel; 12-11-2012 at 11:23 PM.