Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: CWBP - What Happened?!

CC stands for Creative Commons, and it is a license that allows a certain amount of creative freedom while protecting the original author's right to call the work their own.

Here's a link with info on the standard CC licenses: http://creativecommons.org/license/

The only nod I've made to religion so far is this benediction: "May the Blessed Lady keep her eyes upon you." It was included in a letter by a Groaman Pathmage. I don't have any idea who the Blessed Lady is at this point.

I have an idea stirring for a bit of religious information on the indigenous people of Groam and Tawaren, but it hasn't yet made itself clear to me.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Steel General View Post
    Not quite sure what you mean by putting a "CC" license on it.
    Sorry, should explain.

As I understand it, stuff in the CWBP is generally (should be ?) creative commons license. Thats a free to obtain license which is a halfway house between full proprietary "All rights reserved" to public domain "No rights reserved". Those ends of the spectrum mean that you cannot copy it without permission unless you tread carefully in the "fair use" clauses of copyright to do whatever you want because effectively nobody owns or cares about it anymore.

The creative commons license can be thought of as "Some rights reserved". Basically, the owner still owns the copyright and all rights but specifically states that people can do certain things with the stuff with some minor restrictions without needing to ask for the permission.

You can get a CC license with several options but the standard licenses cut the options down to a small set thats easily understood. The most common one is the CC attribution, non commercial, share alike type.

This means that your stuff can be copied and redistributed without permission from the owner if you attribute the work to the owner, you dont charge for it and that if you distribute it then it has to be distributed with the same CC attribution, non commercial, share alike license again so that you cant modify how its shared from the way the owner wanted it shared.

Ok, so if you release your work with that license then nobody has to ask you to use it as long as they use it in that way. And by that same token nobody can heavy handed about somebody using their creative commons licensed material if used correctly so there is protection for the people using it too.

It would be better to release stuff public domain but there has been a tendency in recent years for public domain stuff to become appropriated somehow by institutions. By using CC nobody can magically assimilate your work and redistribute it a way that you don't approve of.

The main site for creative commons is www.creativecommons.org which has everything needed to know about it.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

OK, well if you folks feel that is needed I'll look into it.

Feel free to jump into the wiki and add your stuff.
    I created an account in the WIKI earlier so I'm good to go in respect to that.

Bear in mind there are three supervising editors who may adapt or edit some of your contributions.
    I have no problems with them adapting any or all of the text, if I did I would never have made the offer. I'll need to edit some parts of it out anyway as it is specific to my world, and I don't feel that it would fit. Probably what we'll end up with is just a basic listing of the pantheon with some genral information on each deity.

The only nod I've made to religion so far is this benediction: "May the Blessed Lady keep her eyes upon you." It was included in a letter by a Groaman Pathmage. I don't have any idea who the Blessed Lady is at this point.
    Just off the top of my head, I think this could be adapted to either one of two existing godesses in my pantheon.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Hey all, the FHCO's want to make pictures of their characters to go along with the tales we have written for Snapgallows, so what I have been searching for, without success, is a nice stock photo site that is free that has "old tyme" pictures of people that are also free for use, with modification in Photoshop via filters, so they can have at the images and create something that fits.
    The nine year old is quite adept at PS, (Naruto is his forte, but Naruto isn't what he wants), so we are looking towards B and W portraits with character....
    Kind of vague, I know, just though I would ask here in the CWBP thread as it is somewhat on the trail to Snapgallows....
    SeerBlue

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SeerBlue View Post
    Hey all, the FHCO's want to make pictures of their characters to go along with the tales we have written for Snapgallows, so what I have been searching for, without success, is a nice stock photo site that is free that has "old tyme" pictures of people that are also free for use, with modification in Photoshop via filters, so they can have at the images and create something that fits.
    The nine year old is quite adept at PS, (Naruto is his forte, but Naruto isn't what he wants), so we are looking towards B and W portraits with character....
    Kind of vague, I know, just though I would ask here in the CWBP thread as it is somewhat on the trail to Snapgallows....
    SeerBlue
    Heh - was looking for the same yesterday.

The national portrait gallery has a web site with old and thus out of copyright images on it. Theres the "liams old books" which I like to get a search of 'people' with 400 odd pics but not necessarily portraits tho. In the end I searched for too long and got my paints out instead. Not as nice but got me something quicker.

OK all I have posted the beginnings of the Pantheon in the WIKI. Obviously it still needs the final "green light" from the Editors. I tried to take out any obvious reference to my campaign setting, but I have may missed a few.

The info can be found under WORLD OVERVIEW => PANTHEON. Take a look and let me know what you think.

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

I found a good resource, with a lot of old public domain images, hosted by the US government no less, it is the Library of Congress Digital Collection, it even had the ones I was thinking of, the old dust bowl portraits, black and white, folks looking worn and desperate. Perfect Snapgallows residents.
    I will have to check out the national portrait gallery as well.
    I have helped the FHCO's do up three or so for characters, just to show them filters, and now am trying to figure out PS actions so they can run a couple different ones thru themselves and choose. I will post one to the snap gallows thread as an example of what they are doing, I just have to nab it from Horsehair's PDF. We've even put in a bit of a description and story for background, but we have to work on that as it is not as polished as the Fantaseum Alliance ezine, which they like.
    SeerBlue

Quote Originally Posted by Steel General View Post
    OK all I have posted the beginnings of the Pantheon in the WIKI. Obviously it still needs the final "green light" from the Editors. I tried to take out any obvious reference to my campaign setting, but I have may missed a few.

The info can be found under WORLD OVERVIEW => PANTHEON. Take a look and let me know what you think.
    Pretty good. If we are going to go by a newer 4e interpretation, the alignments have changed to:

Chaotic Evil
    Evil
    Unaligned
    Good
    Lawful Good

These new alignments have structured things such that there is evil which is defined as being Evil, but then of that evil, there is the evil variety that seeks nothing but Wanton Destruction of everything (the Chaotic Evil). On the other end of the scale there is Good, and then there is Lawful Good that seeks to uphold the laws of the land and portect all.
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Quote Originally Posted by NeonKnight View Post
    Pretty good. If we are going to go by a newer 4e interpretation, the alignments have changed to:

Chaotic Evil
    Evil
    Unaligned
    Good
    Lawful Good

These new alignments have structured things such that there is evil which is defined as being Evil, but then of that evil, there is the evil variety that seeks nothing but Wanton Destruction of everything (the Chaotic Evil). On the other end of the scale there is Good, and then there is Lawful Good that seeks to uphold the laws of the land and portect all.
    Thanks...

Well, if we need to change them that would be easy enough. Just let me know if we're going to lean in the 4E direction or not.

Personally I prefer the slightly more diverse, and at times highly interpretational alignments from 3E. But whatever the majority feels is appropriate is OK by me.

No prob. One of the things I like about 4e is the looser Alignment of past editions. Now, most creatures are simply Unaligned except for the more truly evil (Demons, Devils, etc) or the truly Good.
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast