Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: still trying FT + Photoshop

god how i love your snow on the mountains. They has this sharpy-silver feeling that i am trying to achieve with partial success.
    How you managed to make them look so good? Was it just the texture or some blending?

Guild Adept

The snow (actually rock + snow) is this texture, set as a pattern overlay (blend mode: overlay, 75% opacity) over a layer of very blurred white paint. The layer's blend mode is set as "Hue", and it also has a white inner glow (center, 250px, overlay, 75% opacity). The layer is placed above the three layers used to make the mountains' reliefs.
    So, both texture and blending.

Quote Originally Posted by feanaaro View Post
    The snow (actually rock + snow) is this texture, set as a pattern overlay (blend mode: overlay, 75% opacity) over a layer of very blurred white paint. The layer's blend mode is set as "Hue", and it also has a white inner glow (center, 250px, overlay, 75% opacity). The layer is placed above the three layers used to make the mountains' reliefs.
    So, both texture and blending.
    thank you. And DAMN at this tex! its even perfectly seamless! thx!

Guild Adept

Re-saturated the water a little bit, and changed the forest style, now a compromise between the earlier and the later.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kelerion-Valley.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	3.34 MB 
ID:	59046

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Lingon's Avatar

Why haven't I looked at this thread before?! Brilliant map, I love the blend between the satellite and hand-painted looks, it works perfectly. Awesome job. My only criticism would be that the transition to the paper border looks a little uniform and digital.

Guild Adept

Quote Originally Posted by Lingon View Post
    Why haven't I looked at this thread before?!
    Most likely because I am lousy at picking thread names.
    However, thank you, I looked at your work and it is fantastic.
    How would you advise me to do a better transition? The "framing" is something I am not strong at.

Guild Adept

Fiddling with the "political" map; though none of the entities here is a State in our sense. Those depicted are mostly spheres of influence, either of cities or of ethnic groups with a more tribal/clannic organization, without the implication of strictly unified governments.

Name:	Kelerion-Valley-Political.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	3.08 MB 
ID:	59277

Sorry, I forgot to reply to your question about the frame! But the way you did it in the political map is much better, I think. Another thing to try could be a softer blend, not sure if it would be any better though Or no transition at all, just map all the way up to the frame. Actually, that's probably how I'd do it…

Guild Adept

Thanks. The slight difference between the two borders is just that I added another round of "sprayed strokes", with a different direction and different strokes length.
    I think I need a border because the final version will have a legend to be placed somewhere. Also, the bevels used for mountains would show at the edges without the border, though of course I could also just crop them out in the final image.

Yeah, sometimes simple changes make a lot of difference

Maybe I was diffuse in my second suggestion, I didn't mean to remove the border, just the transition. I hope you don't mind this quick tweak I did on a corner of your map, to show how I was thinking!

Name:	Kelerion-Valley.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	95.7 KB 
ID:	59325

I used PS's clone stamp tool, with a 10px brush set to 0% hardness, and painted over the transition effect. Then I made another pass with 50% hardness. So it's a quite soft transition, but very short, a little like if someone used masking tape on the paper's edges to keep it from buckling when painting the map. I dunno if it's useful, I think it's what I'd do but our tastes might differ

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast