Thread: Western Arnonas

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

I'll fix the scale bar and repost; the mountains are staying though - I like 'em. I may do a variant with different mountains though, since so many people are asking.

Great map! I love all aspects of it. I really like the nautical feel it has with the rhumb lines. I have a question about your technique: How did you do the squiggly, broken up lines that emanate from the coasts? It looks awesome and I'd like to do something like that on my maps.
    "If only Dionysus were alive! Where would he eat?"

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JiveMiguel View Post
    Great map! I love all aspects of it. I really like the nautical feel it has with the rhumb lines. I have a question about your technique: How did you do the squiggly, broken up lines that emanate from the coasts? It looks awesome and I'd like to do something like that on my maps.
    The broken up lines around the coasts were actually not too difficult. I did several basic selection-->expand-->fill-->stroke of the land layer, then merged all the resulting rings layers, then changed the style to 'dissolve'. It kept the inner ring fairly solid and broke up the outer ones. Purely accidental discovery made by just screwing around with stuff in photoshop.

@GrimFinger: The title box covers up part of the Highlands because I couldn't be arsed to expand the map canvas so it wouldn't do that.
    The fade-out on some of the names and mt icons was done to kind of go with the fading of the border/outer edges of the map, trying to convey an effect of edge-fading over time. A failed experiment, I concede.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond View Post
    The broken up lines around the coasts were actually not too difficult. I did several basic selection-->expand-->fill-->stroke of the land layer, then merged all the resulting rings layers, then changed the style to 'dissolve'. It kept the inner ring fairly solid and broke up the outer ones. Purely accidental discovery made by just screwing around with stuff in photoshop.
    Hmm, I played around a little with this and couldn't get the same great effect you have. When you say changed the style to dissolve, do you mean on the layers palette? Or is it a filter that I can't seem to find. I'm using Photoshop CS3.
    "If only Dionysus were alive! Where would he eat?"