Thread: Seeking hexmap advice/guidance

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by Superguy View Post
    Six miles from side to side (face to face), to take advantage of the benefits described here:

The Hydra's Grotto: In Praise of the 6 Mile Hex

One question I'm still unclear on is the subdivision of hexes. I've seen some templates where there is a sub-hex centered within the larger hex and others where they are offset, leaving a vertex at the center of the larger (parent) hex. Is there any reason for one method over another? Other than stylistic choice?
    I'll disagree with one point in that link you have. 60 or 600, etc, would divide as easily as 6 will, so don't think you're bound to 6 miles. Taking the 60 example, red becomes 60, blue becomes 70, and green becomes 35. Otherwise, it has great logic to it.

I believe it has more practical purposes than style points, particularly for ease in going from world size > region > local area. This link is an example of a sub hex centered and the geometric measuring possiblities coming from it. Flickr: Discussing Templates! in Jewel Stars - English Paper Piecing There's lots of sub-measurements you can do, but at the 6 mile scale, it may be too much detail. Here's a different example of subdivided hexes. On the 6 mile scale, it may be too much detail for you for sub-measurements.
    Geoffreyg will send you 15 different kinds of hex graph paper for $5, only on fiverr.com

On a larger scale, sub-divided hexes may be a good idea; it's only my opinion, so do with it what you will. In the end, if it works for you, use them, if not, don't. But I'd like to see what you wind up with in the end.
    Last edited by stormbringer_2070; 01-03-2013 at 05:52 PM.