Thread: Fresh start with continental map

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Publisher Facebook Connected bartmoss's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I was afraid someone would call me out on that, I just hoped it would not be within 30ish minutes. Yeah, I am terrible at the math involved, so I try to wing it. I did throw a Canada map in as my reference layer, though, for that very reason. This is the grid they used:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	map01f-small.jpg 
Views:	366 
Size:	216.2 KB 
ID:	50730

Looks similar to what you use, at least to my very untrained eye.

As an aside, is there an easy way to convert that sort of thing back to Equirectangular?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bartmoss View Post
    I was afraid someone would call me out on that, I just hoped it would not be within 30ish minutes. Yeah, I am terrible at the math involved, so I try to wing it. I did throw a Canada map in as my reference layer, though, for that very reason. This is the grid they used:

Name:	map01f-small.jpg 
Views:	366 
Size:	216.2 KB 
ID:	50730

Looks similar to what you use, at least to my very untrained eye.
    I wasn't trying to "call you out", I was just pointing out that this was something that could bite you if you weren't wary. For instance, you can't put a compass rose on this map. I wasn't saying that you need to include a graticule for instance just that if you do, it needs to be a fairly specific one.

They are both Conic projections, which is fairly typical of maps of this extent and position and is why they look similar. I'd need to look at how the graticule distorts as you move away from the standard parallels to make a guess as to which particular conic projection it is.

Quote Originally Posted by bartmoss View Post
    As an aside, is there an easy way to convert that sort of thing back to Equirectangular?
    If you're working in a GIS from the start, yes, but then you probably wouldn't be asking. With plain graphics tools, no, not really as it requires georeferencing the image, which is tricky unless you stick to normal aspect cylindrical projections (which this is not).

That's why easy tools like G.Projector can't do inverse transformations. Also, some projections don't have closed form inverses which means you have to use complex, slow, and inaccurate numerical methods to reverse them even if the image is georeferenced. The commonly used conic protections do have closed form inverses though.

PS: Here it is in Plate Carree/Equirectangular Click image for larger version. 

Name:	map01f-small_plate.png 
Views:	160 
Size:	78.1 KB 
ID:	50731 The georeferencing isn't the greatest and it lost a lot of resolution in the process
    Last edited by Hai-Etlik; 12-28-2012 at 06:56 AM.

Publisher Facebook Connected bartmoss's Avatar
    Blog Entries

And I figure I should probably add the "latest" WIP - it's been a while since I touched this map.

Name:	map01j.jpg 
Views:	1720 
Size:	925.1 KB 
ID:	52367