Thread: First mapping attempt

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Alright, I've updated the climates again. It's the start of the week and I won't be able to update it for a few days (at least until the middle of the week), therefore I wanted to post up what I've got so far. Still in the process of tweaking certain things, feel free to critique. And thanks again, jbgibson, for the taiga suggestion, it's helped a lot! Can't believe I forgot about it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fantasy world global map - climates.png 
Views:	1648 
Size:	1.34 MB 
ID:	50822

Steppe can be classified under sub-arctic, temperate, or arid, so I just put it under temperate more for color-scheme options than anything else (I grouped the climates in the 'key'), but whether its climate is dry, wet, or cold is influenced by what other climates are around it. I marked an asterisk next to shrub-steppe because that's a rare, kind of odd-ball form of steppe - it's really more for me and my note-taking than anything to do with the map. I made the previously-marked arid island to the far east completely mountainous while I figure out what to do with it but I don't know, I might keep it that way. Um, what else.... Oh, Oceanic is usually on the west coast except for rare exception (because of ocean currents) but I took liberty with the middle continent's southern cove band and those islands I updated with the steppe climate, just a small section inside kept arid, as I was thinking the geography for the islands could hold plateaus. I kept the farthest east island there mostly arid but I'm not sure if I should make it all steppe or not. Thoughts?

In my free time this week I'll research ocean currents to verify the climates and see if any of them need changed (I'm sure some do) - but it's also a plus as one of the characters for my story is going to be part of a merchant marine, or merchant navy, and I'll certainly need to research a lot of that, just to be safe. Yay for overlapping research
    Last edited by PurpleLex; 12-30-2012 at 05:07 PM.