Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mountaintop Battlemap

Wip Tweaks...

OK, some tweaks. I took out that bare deciduous tree, it was proving to be problematic, better off just gone. Replaced it with a nicely textured boulder to balance the object placement. I removed some of the bevels, softened others, increased the feathering to almost 50 pixels on most shapes. I took out the top layer of stone in the cliff, it was distracting and unnecessary.

The cliff is barely that, more a steep stoney bank, just a few feet above the creek bed.

This is slightly improved. This version is 200 ppi at 4000 pixels square, 757 kb

WIP so far...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	snowy-creek.jpg 
Views:	1780 
Size:	757.8 KB 
ID:	4144  
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Much nicer. Just one question this time. Is that boulder in the bottom center floating over the edge of the cliff, or is it sitting on the very edge? Based on following the edge of the right cliff face and the shadow on the boulder.

I really like the snow texture. Even on the full size image it looks dead on like snow. Is that a tileable texture or a creative use of layer effects?
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

Quote Originally Posted by RPMiller View Post
    Much nicer. Just one question this time. Is that boulder in the bottom center floating over the edge of the cliff, or is it sitting on the very edge? Based on following the edge of the right cliff face and the shadow on the boulder.

I really like the snow texture. Even on the full size image it looks dead on like snow. Is that a tileable texture or a creative use of layer effects?
    The right side of the creek is intended to be barely higher in elevation to the creek itself - so at the trees to the right the ground in only 12 inches higher than the creek. Whereas the left side is significantly higher than the creek. So this means the boulder is probably sitting on the creek bed, with upper portion above the waterline and above the ground level to the left.

Notice the snow is blended and feathered to the edge of the creek itself.

The snow is a tileable texture (a photo from cgtextures.com), this is not use of layer effects.
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Quote Originally Posted by Gamerprinter View Post
    OK, if that worked for you, how about a glacial crevasse (I'm stuck on this snow and ice thing, until I get a few more out...) - I might create a narrow mountain ledge near the ridgeline, and perhaps an ice cavern.

Next map for you...
    That is rather awesome GP!

I can just see a party of adventurers step onto the (rather shacky and unstable) ice bridge and up pops a Remorhaz (or perhaps one on each side trapping them on the bridge if the GM is super evil!) They then have to worry about slippery footing, the creature, AND the bridge collapsing under them sending them to the icy water below.

Joe
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

The right side of the creek is intended to be barely higher in elevation to the creek itself - so at the trees to the right the ground in only 12 inches higher than the creek. Whereas the left side is significantly higher than the creek. So this means the boulder is probably sitting on the creek bed, with upper portion above the waterline and above the ground level to the left.

Notice the snow is blended and feathered to the edge of the creek itself.

The snow is a tileable texture (a photo from cgtextures.com), this is not use of layer effects.
    Ok, now I see it. That is a tough one to sell with an overhead view. Maybe if the shadow was long enough to shade the other side... Hm... how about that tree that is on the cliff, maybe if its shadow extended to the snowy bank opposite that would lock in the illusion better.
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

Wip Extended the shadow a bit...

I extended the shadow a bit more, I don't really want the shadow too big. If you notice the shadows coming off the spruce trees, you can get an idea of the sun's angle. I didn't want to create to large of a shadow of the cliffside, as its not that high, just higher than the right side of the bank.

You should notice the tree shadow from the cliffside - its there on the previous versions as well, just not as large...

I think this is my final version of this map...

I am practically past my "snow and ice" phase, maybe one more map in me!

Name:	icecreek.jpg 
Views:	309 
Size:	548.8 KB 
ID:	4170  
    DrivethruRPG store

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

That looks great! I'll definitely lift that for a wilderness encounter. Thanks.

I extended the shadow a bit more, I don't really want the shadow too big. If you notice the shadows coming off the spruce trees, you can get an idea of the sun's angle. I didn't want to create to large of a shadow of the cliffside, as its not that high, just higher than the right side of the bank.

You should notice the tree shadow from the cliffside - its there on the previous versions as well, just not as large...

I think this is my final version of this map...

I am practically past my "snow and ice" phase, maybe one more map in me!
    Yea, don't lengthen the shadow. I was thinking you could just have a taller tree whose shadow would fall on the other side. If with the extended shadow it still isn't obvious, but maybe that isn't such a bad thing anyway. It would almost be better to let the GM that is using it decide the height. That way if he wanted this to be a creek deeper in a canyon he could still sell that as an option using that map.

Wip Requested by Dorpond

Dorpond wanted lower resolution, but larger scale and more stuff... 50 ppi, 5000 pixels square JPG.

WIP so far...

Name:	wintery.jpg 
Views:	2105 
Size:	1.37 MB 
ID:	4181  
    DrivethruRPG store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12