Thread: Mountaintop Battlemap

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Wip Mountaintop Battlemap

OK, nothing artistic here, just an experiment using Xara Xtreme 4.0 - two photos from cgtextures.com (rocky cliff-face and snowy ground) one on top of the other. A vector mask following contours in the rock to define areas of rock and snowfield. Then I added rounded vector shapes with a feathered edge, black solid fill and a linear transparency applied to simulate shadows.

Notice the implied gentle slope of snow from the lower area to upper. This helps create the illusion of higher elevation to the north.

This map is campaign setting agnostic other than being a snowy mountain top - could be used as a Colorado mountain pass at the wrong time of year for a western RPG, or an encounter area with a Frost Giant, or a crash location for a starship on an isolated moon!

This map is intended for VT use - 100 ppi, 2000 x 2000 pixel, 2.2 MB JPG

It took me about 20 minutes to create.

Like I said, nothing like my hand-drawn work, but for functional and photo realistic, it does the trick.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mountaintop.jpg 
Views:	876 
Size:	2.20 MB 
ID:	4119  
    Last edited by Gamerprinter; 06-04-2008 at 11:48 PM.
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations