Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Thread: Old Empire of Lorn - Fantasy world map

Community Leader Guild Sponsor - Max -'s Avatar

Thanks again! I had a lot of pleasure playing with those brushes. Some things you see I have to improve on the map?

[river police alarm]
    Attention ... Attention ... River Police Alarm ... Please stand back from that map ... we have to use the eraser!

- The river that springs in the Grands Rocs flowing eastward, changes direction to flow
    southward between two mountains, despite the fact that eastward is more plain terrain.
    - The same river divides east of Heles (R. d. Larven). That's very questionable
    - The lake west of La Sentinelle flows northwards to Cargild. The junction should bow to west instead east.
    - The lake south of La Vigilante - where does he come from, where does he go.
    I see that there could be minor rivers, that are not drawn, but it would look better if there's a river to
    feed the lake and to flow to the bay northwest of Vigilante or into the stream flowing westwards through Terres de Gorjas.
    - The river dividing at Dinral is questionable. I would let it flow only southwestward to the bay.
    - The river flowing through Marches de Seradyn dived, too. Questionable. Far to many questionable Rivers for my taste.
    I would erase them all. Better you create some new rivers e.g. like one springing south of L'Epee des Dieux and flowing
    through Uransol and Quinel. That would be far more realistic.
    - There are many vast lands without rivers. I guess there are many minor rivers, that are not drawn.
    But if you ask me, this map would be even more awsome and mind boggling, if you draw minor rivers, too.
    It would explain the location of many settlements, beeing located in 'nowhere'.
    - The rivers have no names. that's a real bummer, because rivernames are allways the oldest and best known names.
    Rivers are as old as montains, but there is no other thing, at wich lives as much people as at a river. So names of rivers
    are very old and known to millions of people. I would find it important to name them all.

[/river police alarm]

- There is that bridge between R. d. Naal and Senerin. How long is that bridge.
    - That question leads me to the question of scale. I couldn't find one. Would be nice to have. Will it be in the down right box?
    - There are so nice little woods in Marches D'Eldor. It would be nice to have more of them all over the map.

Sorry, there are quite a few points. Feel free to work with them.
    In the end I have to say that your map is stunningly great. The montains, the settlements, the graphics in the box up left ... wow!!!
    It all looks very very nice. I definitely like your style.
    Last edited by Freehand 5.5; 01-14-2013 at 07:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Freehand 5.5 View Post
    [river police alarm]
    Attention ... Attention ... River Police Alarm ... Please stand back from that map ... we have to use the eraser!

- The river that springs in the Grands Rocs flowing eastward, changes direction to flow
    southward between two mountains, despite the fact that eastward is more plain terrain.
    = Will probably add a moutain to make it legit

- The same river divides east of Heles (R. d. Larven). That's very questionable
    = I read that some people here say river never split but only join. thogh I read some articles that show clearly that rivers do split.

- The lake west of La Sentinelle flows northwards to Cargild. The junction should bow to west instead east.
    = Can easily fix it....but why?

- The lake south of La Vigilante - where does he come from, where does he go.
    = That's a water zone produced by te existence of an underworld area (Un-An-Sif) that also makes the lake above boils

I see that there could be minor rivers, that are not drawn, but it would look better if there's a river to
    feed the lake and to flow to the bay northwest of Vigilante or into the stream flowing westwards through Terres de Gorjas.
    = I didn't plan to draw more rivers (even minor) but maybe I'll add some!

- The river dividing at Dinral is questionable. I would let it flow only southwestward to the bay.
    = Probably true

- There are many vast lands without rivers. I guess there are many minor rivers, that are not drawn.
    But if you ask me, this map would be even more awsome and mind boggling, if you draw minor rivers, too.
    It would explain the location of many settlements, beeing located in 'nowhere'.
    = see answer above!

- The rivers have no names. that's a real bummer, because rivernames are allways the oldest and best known names.
    Rivers are as old as montains, but there is no other thing, at wich lives as much people as at a river. So names of rivers
    are very old and known to millions of people. I would find it important to name them all.
    = Hah, that was my last step, I did add all rivers names

[/river police alarm]

- There is that bridge between R. d. Naal and Senerin. How long is that bridge.
    - That question leads me to the question of scale. I couldn't find one. Would be nice to have. Will it be in the down right box?
    = Yes there will a scale inthe bottom right box

- There are so nice little woods in Marches D'Eldor. It would be nice to have more of them all over the map.
    = You're right

Sorry, there are quite a few points. Feel free to work with them.
    In the end I have to say that your map is stunningly great. The montains, the settlements, the graphics in the box up left ... wow!!!
    It all looks very very nice. I definitely like your style.

Thanks very much to have took some time to check the map in details and for your constructive comments. It's still a WIP so I'll work on some of the points you noticed like I quoted you above

*EDIT* Of course the Empire of Lorn wasn't intended to be a realistic world, that probably explains some geographical abberations
    Last edited by - Max -; 01-14-2013 at 08:44 PM.

Thanks for reading my comments and commenting them. (My English is so bad sometimes.)
    Seems to be a very interesting fantasy world.
    That makes me even more curious to see the final map.

Rivers split extremely rarely. The do eventually if a flood an earthquake a falling giant tree or big rock or anything blocks the bed or the river sediments too much sand at one point.
    River beds are constantly in motion, regarding geological ages. If a river splits in two arms, one arm will be a little bit stronger (more water per Second) and therefore will get a lower bed within a few weeks, months or years - that leads to the drying out of the other arm. Now the river flows for another thousand years in this bed, till some earthquake, flood or something other creates some chaos and the water searches for a new way to flow.
    If you want to proof that, go to some public playground with a sand box and a pump well (we have those quite often where I live).
    Then you can test in reality, how water digs his path through the sand. Splitting points will emphasis its stronger arm within minutes if water flows continuously down its path. The other arm dries out.
    Last edited by Freehand 5.5; 01-14-2013 at 09:03 PM.

I believe you on what you said, I'm far from a geographical expert so I'll try to follow your advices (and may add some things blocking bed rivers to explain splitted rivers! )

I'll probably explain a bit about the Empire setting in the finished thread but in a few words : Empire (despite is name is quite new - 200 years of existence) was born with the coming of people from Lands of Aern on the east after great wars there caused massive exile. But the world of Lorn is way older. They called it Old Lands of Lorn who qsuickly became Old Empire of Lorn afterwards. They set there but they found a land of a great mystical power ( antic civilization of Caer-Dun in north west or an ancient oracle (non-human) living in a big mountain or the traces of the ancient people of Djiz in north east ) and magical (they also discover the existence of the Draks in west areas and the existence of an underworld where lives a dangerous people, those from Un-An-Sif)... Most of them had disappeared when they came or kept hidden but their existence on Lorn has let some relics on lands ( mystical stones, ruins, mystical glyphs on mountains, paths to underworld, wasted lands and such you can see on the map.
    Of course, many of those details on the map are exagerrated in size on the map, in order to highlight them.

Oh and no worry for your english, mine is not very good as well
    Last edited by - Max -; 01-14-2013 at 10:44 PM.

So, new update : Filled bottom right box, added some sea monsters (from Abraham Ortelius map engravings), added rivers names, fixed most of rivers bugs (at least i hope) and added a couple of little forests/woods here and there) and fixed some minor bugs. To be continued... A Next step will be adding minor rivers as Freehand suggested it I guess.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lorn14.jpg 
Views:	515 
Size:	4.73 MB 
ID:	51251

Ah, finalment les noms des fleuves!
    Nicely done and you managed all those changes quite quick. You're a pro, aren't you?

Shouldn't L'iranin and L'anduin be written in capitals after the accent?
    And ... "Anduin". Hm... shouldn't you better come up with something own?

I don't like the crown in the bottom right armoiries. The idea is good, but it could look more pompeuse.
    Perhaps it would look better, too, if the ornament below the coat of arms is centered in a optically more fitting way.

Btw, I like your typesetting. The fonts are very nice and do not act up too much. I really like that very much.
    That map, my friend, is over the top! I just pray to the lord that it has plenty of dpi.
    Last edited by Freehand 5.5; 01-15-2013 at 12:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Freehand 5.5 View Post
    Ah, finalment les noms des fleuves!
    =
    Nicely done and you managed all those changes quite quick. You're a pro, aren't you?
    = Sure I am hahaha

Shouldn't L'iranin and L'anduin be written in capitals after the accent?
    = Yes
    And ... "Anduin". Hm... shouldn't you better come up with something own?
    = ...Anduin....F***....That's why this name reminds me of something!

I don't like the crown in the bottom right armoiries. The idea is good, but it could look more pompeuse.
    Perhaps it would look better, too, if the ornament below the coat of arms is centered in a optically more fitting way.
    = I'm gonna try to fix it but this ornament is weird done

Btw, I like your typesetting. The fonts are very nice and do not act up too much. I really like that very much.
    That map, my friend, is over the top! I just pray to the lord that it has plenty of dpi.
    Vielen Dank mein Freund ya es ist 300 dpi
    Last edited by - Max -; 01-15-2013 at 04:51 AM.

Another update : Added some minor rivers, worked a bit more some labels, fixed some stuff.

@Freehand : about the armoiries, I wanted to keep it simple. For the others points, see my post above.

Name:	Lorn15.jpg 
Views:	218 
Size:	4.74 MB 
ID:	51258

And another one update : fixed bottom right border ornament, finished labels (notably tried to make those on mountains and forests more lisibles).

I'm not far to consider the map is done...

Name:	Lorn16.jpg 
Views:	626 
Size:	3.86 MB 
ID:	51264

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast